Confidence Defeated

Papyrus sat down on the ground, a feeling of pride in his chest. Somehow, the human and Undyne would become friends. He was sure of it. Leaning against the wall of his friends house, Papyrus listened in as Undyne started to offer the human something to drink. He heard something crack, and automatically assumed that Undyne had thrown a spear at something, which she did often. Her voice calmed down as she listed off what she could offer for the human to drink, including a favorite of theirs, golden flower tea. Apparently, the human had chosen that drink, as Undyne began to talk about how Asgore liked the tea.

"Hmm, golden flower tea? Thats Asgore's favorite. You know, you two have a lot of things in common. You're both big nerds! Asgore would never want to hurt anyone, like you.

"Do you know how I joined the Royal Guard?" Undyne asked, which caused Papyrus to look up. He hadn't ever heard how the captain had joined the guard and made her way to the top of the ranks. It surprised him a little, that she hadn't told the story to many others before, and he was one of them. Telling the human she had just felt rather. murdery about, it felt strange.

"Well, I'll tell you. I've always wanted to join the guard as a kid. So one day, I walked straight up to Asgore and asked him for a fight. Worst idea of my life! I couldn't even land a single hit, he was so fast and agile. And the worst part, he didn't even try to hit me! It was so embarrassing. When I was finally tired out, Asgore asked me if I wanted training, and I accepted. He took me on as an apprentice, and I accepted. Finally, I landed a hit on Asgore, and he let me join the guard. After that, I continued to word hard, and here I am today, the captain of the Royal Guard, training those people who were weak like me."

The story gave Papyrus some inspiration. Ever since he had known Undyne, she had been on par with Asgore. Knowing how she had worked her way there was amazing.

"People like Papyrus." Undyne said. He jerked up at the sound of his name. "Papyrus, he's just so... nice! And don't get me wrong, that's a great thing. He's so enthusiastic about everything he does. Cooking, training, anything really. Especially training to become a guard with me. He's so good at the fighting part of his training. In fact, he could surpass Asgore and I one day." But Undyne sighed, causing Papyrus to become confused. Why was she silent? His question was soon answered.

"I don't think I could ever let Papyrus become a Royal Guardsmen..." She said quickly. "Because he's so nice, he'd never kill someone. He could fight and leave a monster with one HP, but he'd never kill anyone. You should know that. And while that attitude is great, in my line of work, it will get him dusted. And I don't think I could live with myself if I let him in and it didn't turn out well."

Undyne continue talking, but Papyrus didn't hear any of it. Never in the Royal Guard? That was his dream, everything he worked for. He cooked with Undyne in hopes of becoming a guard, he made sure Sans was doing the best he could to impress the others, and did so, so much more to work to become a Royal Guard. But now he was just completely shot down. He had been working for almost five years now to join, and all that was for nothing.

Completely nothing.

He was supposed to be taking the human back to Snowdin for a night, just to chill out and have fun for a day. But now, he didn't know if he could face the human and Undyne again.

Without any words, he got up and dashed out of the yard, not even bothering to say goodbye.