Unbelievable (Chapter 23)

I was sitting in maths in the last week of term struggling to understand the purpose of algebraic equations before a long overdue break. I felt slightly sorry for our teacher who honestly wasn't doing a good job of keeping the class focused. In my opinion he should just give up but I felt that at least he could capture one students attention that one stupid stupid student being me.

Ashley kept nudging me but I'd end up feeling cheeky if I talked to her or entertained her gossip. He seemed to have given up with the class sitting himself down in his swivelly chair with a sigh and slight grumble. Typical teachers. The one time you begin to feel sorry for them or actually fake an interest they want to let you down. Well, I'm not going to waste my time either Mr. Barnes! I huffily shut my textbook, giving Ashley my full attention.

"Thank God man! See even Sir's given up! Usually he'd have given us all an hour's after school detention on a Friday!" Ashley points out.

"I know and I'm sorry I didn't come to the dark side sooner" I tell her sniffing for effect.

"You know what, as long as you're here in the dark side its cool. We have cookies" Ashley informs me patting my shoulder. "Zak chocolate hobnob me, make that a double will you babe."

I laugh as Ashley is handed four chocolate hobnobs wrapped around some graph paper. Wow, I came to the right side.

"Wait graph paper wrapping?" I questioned. Ashley merely opens up the graph paper and slides the biscuits towards my side of the table nodding. "Okay then, graph paper wrapping."

"They're good aren't they? Imports... from Surrey."

"I stopped chewing on imports but Surrey? Like... is that even an import you idiot?" I tell her.

We burst out laughing imagining a balding middle aged man in a ski mask transporting digestive biscuits in a van across no major border whatsoever. Ashley gradually stopped giggling and smirked at me mischievously. I too stopped laughing to question the sly look on her face.

"Why are you looking at me like that? " I prod.

"Ever skipped class?" she asks swinging on her chair.

"Nooo, unless I have to leave before class for an exam but I don't stay out for all the time you know just in case.Why? " I'm confused at the question and terrified of the answer.

"I think you're about to." she winks.

What I'm about to actually do is shoot her a sarcastic response when I realise the door's open to reveal Trent entering the class and softly chuckling at the havoc before he gains composure to talk to Mr. Barnes. I tried to catch his eye but his attention was solely on the teacher in front of him. Trent was doing some small animated hand gestures as Mr. Barnes stared adoringly at him nodding his head avidly.

Trent seemed pleased and Mr. Barnes relieved as their conversation ended. They turned around looking directly at me and Ashley who were intently staring at them trying to figure out what had been said while stuffing our faces with imported biscuits. Attractive. Trent coughed back a laugh as he raised an eyebrow taking in the class and the large number of slutty sluts in the set. His eyes widened briefly at a pair taking pictures in the reflection of the display cabinet before resting his gaze on me once again.

"Fatimah, Ashley it seems you have to be somewhere. Take your things and have a good holiday girls you can follow Trent." He rushes a look of relief graces his face at the good fortune which means he drops two students at once in his class.

I gave Ashley a puzzled look as she grinned at me triumphantly,  reaching for her bag and shoving my books into my own bag in one smooth motion. I eye Trent suspiciously before gradually getting up from my seat and having my bag shoved at me. Ow. Why am I friends with Ashley?