↳ CHAPTER TWO

AWAKENING FROM A DRUNKEN SLUMBER by having a pillow thrown onto her face was the last thing Annika expected from her Friday morning, but with a startle, she jumped up and accepted that as reality

  AWAKENING FROM A DRUNKEN SLUMBER by having a pillow thrown onto her face was the last thing Annika expected from her Friday morning, but with a startle, she jumped up and accepted that as reality. She couldn't remember how many drinks she had had the previous night, but concluding from the pounding headache and the lack of memories, Maeve's advice to go with the flow had been taken into consideration a little too seriously. Last night was no longer a joke — if anything, it felt like a mistake, especially when Annika realized she had no idea of her whereabouts or how she had ended up there. The last thing she did remember was Lucifer's mischievous grin in a twist through the bottom of her glass.

    Annika had barely opened her eyes and taken in the unfamiliar surroundings when there was a chirpy greeting from the other side of the strange room. "Morning, sunshine!" The overly sarcastic voice of Lucifer coaxed a grimace from Annika as she scrambled to gather the covers against her half-naked body and looked around the expensive, fancy penthouse she had just woken up in. At that moment, believing Lucifer to be, well, Lucifer, was a little easier.

    "Ah, don't look so shocked! You wound me with those innocent eyes of yours, darling", the man continued as Annika glanced between the silky sheets and her bare skin underneath, all the while he sipped on his coffee and tugged on his robe on his way to the bed she was sitting in. The situation didn't seem very ideal, but before Annika could dive head-first into regret and embarrassment, Lucifer was adding on with amusement. "Alright, you may stop hating yourself now, because our shared fun didn't go beyond the few extra drinks. I suggested you stay the night merely for your own safety and you, evidently, had no intentions to disagree."

    Breathing out in relief, Annika ran her fingers through her cropped hair and praised whatever superior power had stopped her from sleeping with the Devil. Nevertheless, she was still undressed in his bed after a night that remained as a hazy memory, giving her good reason to turn red as she uncomfortably slid off of the mattress with the covers in tow.

    "This is so embarrassing", Annika mumbled while collecting her dress, shoes and whatever she had foolishly taken off, before beginning to drag the clothes up her body. "I'm not usually like this, I swear", she attempted to explain herself with Maeve's influence finally wearing off, but her apologetic look was met with amusement at both the awkwardness and the sight of her hopelessly trying to zip up the dress with one hand.

    "Oh, I think this is quite entertaining, actually", Lucifer countered as he downed the rest of his coffee and then glid over to Annika who couldn't resist a shiver when his large, warm hands landed on her heating skin. He certainly noticed but didn't comment on her involuntary reaction as he gently moved her hair onto her shoulder and zipped the dress for her, all the while his heavy presence loomed over in a way that left her at a loss for words. "But I promise, I will only tease you about it for the upcoming week or so."

    Surprised by his words, Annika turned around once she was fully dressed and broke into a soft smile. "We'll meet again?" she let out, and as the more of a question lingered in the air, their eyes met and her insides twisted and turned at the tension between them. Truthfully, the butterflies erupting in her stomach were confirmation enough that the thought of meeting him, again and again, was an inviting one, but at the same time, she wasn't sure how smart of an idea that was. Even if she had had fun, this wasn't her style, and she didn't seem like Lucifer's kind of company, either.