↳ CHAPTER SIXTEEN

  EVER SINCE ANNIKA'S mother had passed away, she had recognized the very real threat of death looming just around the corner every now and then — the impending doom had, in fact, only strengthened her innate desire to be kind and good to whomever she came across.

    But wondering if it was her time already, that was new. She had faced so much danger in Lucifer's company, but it had been Malcolm and Amenadiel's kidnapping that had really driven in the realization that any day now, she could kick the bucket. Only then she had begun to wonder how or when, and while her session with Dr. Martin had been a guiding hand through the worst of it, she couldn't help but feel thoroughly intimidated now, with two angels fighting one another in a destroyed penthouse. Maybe, her time would be sooner than later.

    After all, very few expected to find themselves on the ground by the end of the week.

    Amenadiel had shown up with evident violence coloring his ill intentions, while Malcolm had taken the opportunity to sneak out without another word. Annika had been tempted to chase after him, some of Chloe's thirst for justice clearly contagious, but she had been stopped by Lucifer's body flying through the room. The man kept on receiving more blows than was fair, but at the very least he seemed delighted to return the favor by tossing Amenadiel around too.

    And so, knowing that getting in the middle of it would only end with her getting a shiner of her own, Annika crouched helplessly behind the piano. Her attention remained glued onto the arguing brothers, one of them continuously climbing back up to both feet before shoving the other down until her phone rang in her pocket and she instinctively reached for it. Without even looking at the caller ID, she brought the phone to her ear and cringed as a loud crash intervened with her greeting.

    "This is Annika. And this is also not the best time—", she cleared her throat uncomfortably, only for the sound of Lucifer slamming into his liquor shelf to interrupt her. The aggressive noise of all the glass shattering into the floor echoed throughout the penthouse, and yet, on the other end of the call, Maeve was hardly moved by the clatter.

    "Annika, I saw you on the news! Are you and Lucifer officially together? He seems so dangerous but... in a hot way, you know? I mean, the way he threatened that preacher on the street. Wowza", the woman was gushing, seconds away from the sex-related questions, but Annika sighed at something else entirely. If the clip of Lucifer losing his temper had, indeed, leaked online then his difficulties were far from finishing. All kinds of rumors were undoubtedly spreading like wildfires, but luckily, at least Maeve was focused on the better parts.

    Shaking her head, Annika tiptoed from behind the piano to Lucifer's bedroom and thought about the right words to say. "Lucifer and I aren't officially anything, except...", she corrected, stopping to flinch at the sound of one brother flying through a glass wall, "royally busy, so could I call you later?" Running her fingers through her brown curls nervously, she peeked from behind the wall just in time to find Lucifer punching Amenadiel without remorse, earning a grimace from her as she tried to level her breathing.