↳ CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

  ANNIKA COULDN'T BELIEVE Dan's definition of evidence essential to proving Lucifer's innocence, as he had meant turning himself in for stealing a gun from the LAPD and handing it over to Malcolm who had then used it for murder. It was a righteous and benevolent act, but completely unexpected and Annika was at a loss for words when Dan placed his badge and gun at the front desk and stated he was there to confess to a crime. Even Lucifer had been amazed by the gesture and forced to utter out some gratitude, all the while Annika had tugged the man into a tight hug. Not only had he been a good friend, but he had saved Annika, only to now do the same thing for Lucifer.

    While Dan took one for the team and was taken away, Chloe was excusing herself to take a phone call, leaving the lovers alone in the silence Dan's heroic sacrifice had invited into the room. The quiet didn't last for all that long, though, as Annika then turned to face Lucifer and slowly gathered his hands into her own, with the man gladly accepting the gesture. While he had been intimate with multiple women in the past, it was Annika that had welcomed more romance and feeling into his life.

    "I'm glad you're okay", Annika noted simply, her eyes locking with Lucifer's and melting his expression into something sweet and loving. Smiling, he placed a kiss on the back of her hand before inching closer and sealing the space between their bodies, effectively taking her breath away in the process.

    "Yes, well, I suppose I should apologize. I did not mean to upset you in any way, Annie", Lucifer muttered before inhaling deeply and placing a delicate touch on her cheek. "And I would also like to thank you for standing by me. Not once have you faltered or judged me and for that, I am deeply, truly grateful, my darling", he continued appreciatively, and she could tell it took him a lot to let his walls down for a moment. That made the moment all the more special, allowing her to feel like it was just the two of them in the middle of the busy precinct.

    Happily, Annika rose on her tiptoes to give his cheek a tender kiss, one that left the man smiling like a lovesick idiot. Just as she was standing back down, Chloe was striding past them without a word, a duffel bag in her arms and a heavy look invading her usually kind eyes. The silence, as well as the rushed steps towards the elevator, were enough of a warning sign, causing Lucifer and Annika to exchange a meaningful look and nod at one another.

    "I think she's in a trouble", the Hayden concluded in worry, before placing a dramatic hand on her chest and taking a stab at Lucifer's posh accent, "shall we find out whatever she is up to?" The words tugged Lucifer's lips into a wicked grin, and with an arm given to her, he was more than willing to agree to his lover's plan.

    "Why, Annie, that does sound rather tempting."

    The two made their way down to the LAPD parking lot where they found Chloe sneaking into her car, and acting on instinct, Lucifer was breaking the door of one of the patrol vehicles. Once inside, he was grabbing the radio and putting on his best American accent to fool Chloe.