↳ CHAPTER TWELVE

  FIELD TRIP DAY had arrived and Annika had the day off. Detective Decker and Lucifer were neck-deep in another case and had decided to let Annika sit this one out to get some well-deserved rest. Maeve was probably busy hitting on the fathers that had volunteered to help on the visit to the local science center. And all that was, perhaps, why no one noticed Annika was far from home — kidnapped from her own driveway and now in some dark warehouse, bruised and beaten, tied down.

    It was the brutal truth she had tried many times to escape, only to burst into tears and realize that this was most likely her end. She had been unable to fight the strong man who had taken her, so the chance of doing so with the thick rope around her body was quite low, too. She couldn't recognize the surroundings either — it was a dusty, old shack but due to being tied to one of the wooden posts supporting the tiny building, she couldn't look around for more details. She had no clue how much time had passed, but she was hungry and exhausted, and her entire body throbbed with pain. In fact, the bruises forming on her arms and the metallic taste of blood burning on the tip of her tongue whenever she licked her lips, suggested that she hadn't been handled with care.

    Other than her heavy breathing, it was silent, so it was safe to say she was alone in the shack. It was scary, but in a way, a relief, considering she wasn't being kicked to death. The truly terrifying part, though, was not having a clue who could have been behind her disappearance — she was beloved, she was kind and caring and had no enemies. Maybe it was the cons of socializing with the Devil.

    At the same time, that allowed her to hope that Lucifer would realize something was off and with Chloe's help, he'd try and find her. He was the only one who could imagine the situation she had ended up in, anyway. For better or worse, Lucifer would consider the possibility of something dangerous and dark, and that was the shred of faith Annika was clinging onto with her entire being.

    The silence, excluding Annika's sniffles, was broken as the door of the shack opened and two men entered — the other one short and strange to her, but the other one taller and so familiar it shattered her heart as the realization of how gullible she had been dawned on her. She should have known that a handsome substitute teacher with endless charm and unknown connections to Lucifer was too good to be true.

    "You're missing field trip day, Daniel", Annika called out with her best attempt at courage, even though her voice trembled under the weight of her words. Discomfort forced her to shuffle against the wooden post, causing her wrists to grind into the rope and earn a sharp inhale from her as she fought back tears and put on a brave face. She didn't want to seem weak, but she suspected that when Daniel stepped in front of her with an observing stare, he could see the worry in her eyes. Nevertheless, the temptation to slap him raged in her chest — she had trusted him, felt so happy about making a new friend, and all it got her was bruises and betrayal.