↳ CHAPTER NINE

WHEN INVASIVE SUNLIGHT woke Annika up gently and gradually, the first thing she thought of was how incredibly warm Lucifer's sheets were, but once she had shaken her incoherent dreams away, she remembered the last time she had been entangled in ...

  WHEN INVASIVE SUNLIGHT woke Annika up gently and gradually, the first thing she thought of was how incredibly warm Lucifer's sheets were, but once she had shaken her incoherent dreams away, she remembered the last time she had been entangled in them. Frankly, she couldn't believe there even was a last time, to begin with, but she doubted she'd ever forget a thing about that confusing, embarrassing morning. Back then, the situation had felt strange and alarming, whereas now, she was enveloped in something soothing and cozy — and that didn't mean just Lucifer's arms.

    But, one thing that had stayed the same was Lucifer's antics.

    Instead of sipping coffee on the other side of the room this time, he was right next to her, eyes shut but a smug smile on his lips when Annika rolled around and threw an arm over his shoulders. Inching closer until they were body to body, the woman mirrored his happy expression and reveled in the simple joy reaching every part of her. She had been single for a while now, despite Maeve's attempts to set her up with more than enough people, and there hadn't been all too many steamy hook-ups either — not until now, anyway. She was, however, the kind to fall quickly and therefore it was no surprise that her heart was swelling with unconditional happiness while in Lucifer's arms.

    Although she wasn't quite sure how he felt about her, if they were truly on the verge of something real, she didn't doubt her own feelings.

    "My, my. What would your parents say if they saw you now?" Lucifer broke the comfortable silence with a low chuckle slipping from between his soft lips, all the while his hand slowly caressed Annika's dark mess of loosened curls.

    Knowing he meant well with his teasing, Annika wound up swallowing thickly, hoping to get rid of the lump rising in her throat. A familiar weight descended onto her heart, one that pressed against her chest every time the topic of her parents was brought up. The wounds were no longer as fresh as they had once been, but she couldn't reminisce them all too fondly, either.

    Rolling over to her stomach, Annika rested her jaw against her palm and released a sigh. "That's a pretty big if. Neither is still around", she pointed out thoughtfully, a solemn look given to Lucifer who, regardless of the busy night they had had, looked as gorgeous as ever. Nevertheless, concern was mixing on his face, eyebrows knitted together and an understanding nod reassuring her when she looked down at her hands — not that she had much time when Lucifer was already sneaking a finger under her jaw and coaxing her to look back up at him.

    "What happened?" was his simple question, spoken with such care that Annika almost felt like breaking into tears. But, used to recalling her family's tragic past by now, she, instead, flashed a weak smile and leaned into him.

    "My dad left when I was younger. Haven't seen him since", she explained coolly, and much to her surprise, Lucifer broke into a wide grin and hoisted himself up to her level before resting on his elbow with arrogance. At that very second, Annika knew she'd rather not hear the incoming comment, but she didn't get to say a thing when Lucifer was already nudging her.