↳ CHAPTER THREE

CALM AND WILLING TO COOPERATE, Annika was lucky enough to sit without a pair of handcuffs grinding into her wrists as she prepared to answer any and all questions

  CALM AND WILLING TO COOPERATE, Annika was lucky enough to sit without a pair of handcuffs grinding into her wrists as she prepared to answer any and all questions. Despite the lack of chains around her, she was still uncomfortable — maybe it was Lucifer's presence in the interrogation room or possibly the fact that someone had been murdered in her classroom. And here Annika had thought that being late for work was the worst part about her morning.

    "Did you know him?" Chloe's eerily calm and steady voice split the air in half, and once the buzzing in Annika's ears settled, she realized that the detective had pushed a photo across the table separating her and Lucifer from the Hayden. Even though she was scared of looking down and identifying the victim, Annika did so, nonetheless, and in an instant, she was sucked into gut-wrenching horror fueled by the sight she couldn't tear her eyes away from. Once she figured that it wasn't one of her friends or the children, a speck of relief burned in her chest, only for instant regret and guilt to replace the hope in her.

    Swallowing thickly, Annika shook her head and looked up at Chloe with sad eyes. "Not well. He's the janitor so I saw him around every now and then. He'd always smile and wish me a good day", Annika recalled quietly with a faint smile touching her lips at the warm memory. Once her gaze found Lucifer, he no longer seemed so boisterous and proud, but rather, worried and touched by the words Annika had whispered heavily into the tense air. But, deciding that overthinking was rarely the way to go, she looked back down at the photo only to push it away and wipe her eyes.

    Clearly sorry for having to push harder, Chloe cleared her throat and took the photo away with soft movements. "Where were you last night at—", she started, ready to present the next question she was obligated to ask and Annika was more or less obligated to answer, only for Lucifer to intervene rather loudly.

    "Why, Miss Hayden was with me, naturally! Yes, there was drinking and partying involved, all night long, actually. So, she is innocent, is she not?" Lucifer insisted before slamming his hands on the table and jumping up from the chair with a terrible screech. "The poor woman is torn by this tragedy and she has a bulletproof alibi, so shall we find someone else to go through this thrilling questionnaire with?"

    Straightening his jacket, Lucifer flashed a bitter smile at the women, ready to bolt with or without his partner, but for the sake of some proof and confirmation, Chloe turned to Annika who sheepishly nodded.

    "Yeah, yes", she forced out, "I spent the whole night with Lucifer." Although she still struggled to remember all the details, she knew she wasn't capable of murder, and so, she didn't argue when Chloe collected the images she had spread out on the table and nodded in agreement.

    "Yeah, well, I never doubted you, anyway. We might have to ask you some more later, though, so don't freak if you find some cops on your doorstep", the Decker elaborated with her professional voice, before glancing at Lucifer and then back at Annika with a sarcastic smile. "But if you ask me, not sure your case is really a win, either", she taunted playfully, earning an eye roll from the man while Annika caved in and chuckled.