↳ EPILOGUE

ANNIKA HAYDEN WAS, by any definition, an angel

ANNIKA HAYDEN WAS, by any definition, an angel. When she had been a little girl and still had both parents, her father had called her his little angel, and on her deathbed, her mother had thanked Annika for her angelic ways, promising to meet her in Heaven one day. Maeve had called Annika with the same word before, though probably not as a compliment, but it had made the Hayden laugh. She was always hoping to be positive, kind and understanding, but as of late, also brave and protective of those she loved.

And on the night she had met the Devil, it had been pointed out how she certainly looked like an angel, and she had never forgotten about those words. Most likely because it had been the first thing Lucifer Morningstar ever spoke to her.

Despite every sound of reason her mind, she had gotten involved, too. And for better or worse, she had changed — undoubtedly because she had been beaten, kidnapped, heartbroken by things she could have avoided by just avoiding Lucifer and sticking to her boring life. Yet, she had no regrets. She didn't regret getting to know Lucifer, falling for him, dying with him. Even if her death had arrived far before she had expected it to, and all because she had fallen in love with the Devil.

For a moment, Annika probably was an actual angel — Malcolm hadn't been wrong, she belonged in Heaven rather than Hell, even when she had wound up in the bed of the King. But it wasn't her time to go yet. Call it making a deal with the Devil, or the Devil making a deal with someone superior, but she wasn't dead.

Maybe she should have been, considering the gutshot that very few recovered from, but after brushing hands with afterlife, she was jolting awake on a hospital bed, gasping for air and feeling life fill her from head to toe. Panic rushed through her — how else did one react to coming back to life after already accepting your death?

After glancing around, though, and concluding from the surroundings that she was in a hospital, she could slow down her breath and focus on the dark spot in the light blur of her eyes. Amidst all the white furniture and machinery and the occasional flowers around the room, sat Lucifer, dashing as ever in his suit and a smile creeping up to his lips upon realizing she was returning to him. When she looked down, she found her hand being held tightly by his, and the familiar warmth coaxed a weak smile from her while bringing her focus back to the man before her eyes.

"Are you an angel?" she whispered hoarsely, partly joking but partly not. She was certain she had died and there was some kind of aching in her body, like an itch that could not be scratched, and she was attached to several beeping machines. Something was definitely wrong, or at least had bee . But as she looked into Lucifer's twinkling, dark eyes, everything felt just right, whether it was just an illusion in her personal heaven or sole reality.

Chuckling, Lucifer leaned closer to poke at her nose softly. "You're absolutely devilish", he commented, and knowing that laughter would only hurt, Annika had to resist. But gazing at Lucifer and seeing the joy crossing his features was satisfactory enough,