↳ CHAPTER SIX

FIRST AND FOREMOST, Annika was nauseated by the crime and death lingering so casually in the police station she found her way to by Lucifer's side, but with time, she caught some of Chloe's determination in solving the case

  FIRST AND FOREMOST, Annika was nauseated by the crime and death lingering so casually in the police station she found her way to by Lucifer's side, but with time, she caught some of Chloe's determination in solving the case. That said, she couldn't deny that it was more than strange to spend her evening chasing bad guys. She was just a teacher, not a homicide detective, but Lucifer had worked his magic and suddenly, she was allowed to walk in their company as long as the situation was one without imminent danger.

    Apparently, a fun party that Lucifer had unsurprisingly attended, had ended with a girl drowning in the pool and the atmosphere becoming much less lively. By the time the moon had risen to the dark L.A sky, they had called it a night and Annika had gone to sleep with the rush of policework keeping her thoughts occupied until they bled into her dreams, but as the next day arrived and her own workday was wrapped up, she found herself in the backseat of Chloe's patrol car.

    "I kind of feel like a criminal back here", Annika chuckled as she looked at Lucifer and Chloe through the cage-like partition. The three were on their way to meet Ty Huntley, a dashing football star and the man who had thrown the fatal party, to begin with, and concluding from the unwavering defiance in Chloe's eyes, the detective had a reliable hunch she was following.

    "The only thing you would ever be guilty of is stealing hearts, my darling", Lucifer replied, smooth as ever, and shot his trademark smile over his shoulder and at Annika who could only muster a chuckle in response. As intimidating as it was to find a hobby in watching policework unfold, she couldn't deny that getting to spend more time with the eccentric man was making it all quite worth it.

    "I'd say the same for you but I feel like you broke several laws getting me involved with this", Annika pointed out in uncertainty, her eyebrows knitted together in a frown as she watched Chloe's lip twitch in the smallest of smiles.

    "Well, it is possible to become an auxiliary officer and volunteer, but that takes a little more preparation. I'm pretty sure he just batted his eyelashes at the Lieutenant", the Decker elaborated with a judgmental look sent Lucifer's way, and then giving a softer one to Annika through the rearview mirror. "If you really are interested, I can guide you through the process. For now, I recommend staying in the back and following from a safe distance", she added with a careful tone, the kind that was gentle but assertive — useful not only as a cop, but as a mother, and finding herself in the role of an obedient child, Annika could only nod.

    Once they made their way to the right building and the car had been parked, Lucifer was opening Annika's door for her and then steering her towards the entrance with an extended arm. Suppressing a smile, the Hayden followed his lead, all the while Chloe walked in first without a hint of insecurity or doubt in her confident steps.

    "I do so love a dramatic interruption", Lucifer muttered under his breath as the trio wandered into one of the conference rooms where Ty's entire team was talking about his career. The nudge he gave her proved that he was seeking her attention with the comment, and accordingly, Annika threw fuel to the fire and gestured at the group of people erupting into applause at the finish of a slideshow.