↳ CHAPTER FIVE

DESPITE VISITING LUX ONCE BEFORE, the club still left Annika breathless as soon as she entered the building

  DESPITE VISITING LUX ONCE BEFORE, the club still left Annika breathless as soon as she entered the building. It was getting late, so it was no surprise that it was crowded, but this time, she didn't feel as lost and unsure of her chances of survival. This time, she knew what she was after — Lucifer, no matter how much it pained her to admit it. She was constantly thinking back to the morning they had spent together at her place, how he had made her breakfast and then closed her against the counter and stolen her breath away. And when she thought back to the way he had zipped up her dress in the privacy of his penthouse, it was possible that he had stolen something more than just the air in her lungs.

    Much to her disappointment, Lucifer was nowhere to be seen, not under the neon lights, anyway. But, with a sense of arrogance that Annika rarely felt, she trusted that her arrival would catch his attention from the shadows soon enough, and in the meanwhile, she strutted over to the bar and sat down on the nearest empty seat. Tapping her finger against the counter to the beat of the music, Annika looked around, but even Lucifer's piano was unoccupied and every second further suggested that she was being foolish for chasing after him like this. That said, she didn't have to be alone.

    "Oh, the woman from a few nights ago. Here for another taste?" A new voice caught Annika's attention, and although she hadn't ordered a drink, one was slid across the counter for her. Surprised, she faced the bartender, and in a matter of seconds, she recognized the dark-haired stunner as the one that had first delivered her the drink on her first night at Lux. The familiar face spread something warm and relieved in Annika's chest, and without accepting the second drink the bartender had carried for her, she leaned her chin against her hands and shrugged.

    "Guess you could say so. Lucifer isn't here?" Annika asked without masking the dismay in her tone very well, but she never, not even for one second, tore her eyes away from the pair she was deeply staring into. The bartender beamed up at her with the kind of mischief that Annie was used to finding on Lucifer's lips, and accordingly, the woman radiated the same supreme confidence he often did.

    "Nope, but who needs him, when you have me?" she pointed out with a wink at Annika who raised a curious eyebrow at the tempting woman. Before she could ask her name, she had almost read the Hayden's thoughts and stuck out an inviting hand that she grabbed almost immediately. "I'm Mazikeen, but you can call me Maze. Or anything you like, at all", she introduced herself with a tongue sweeping past her lips, and easily reeled in, Annika slowly shook her hand.

    "Annika", she returned the favor, lucky enough to remember her own name as she tilted her head to the side and sucked in a breath. "You know, you remind me of a girl I used to date", she recalled one of her two past relationships — one of which had been a high school sweetheart, and the other a girlfriend from a few years back until she had moved out of L.A. The memory wasn't particularly painful, but there was something positively bittersweet about the familiarity in Maze's company.