↳ CHAPTER EIGHT

LUCIFER'S MANY CONNECTIONS were to thank when the afterparty had been moved to Lux — or maybe it had something to do with the open bar, but either way, they didn't get to enjoy it for very long

   LUCIFER'S MANY CONNECTIONS were to thank when the afterparty had been moved to Lux — or maybe it had something to do with the open bar, but either way, they didn't get to enjoy it for very long. Having the celebration on their turf made it that much easier to corner Carver, especially when the foolish man pulled out a gun and encouraged most of the crowd to flee screaming. In a turn of events, however, it seemed that the man wasn't to blame for the missing girl's disappearance, but instead, he was trying to get her back.

    "I bet it's going to be a blast explaining to the media why some nutjob pulled out a damn gun in your club", Annika muttered to Lucifer once he had led the two of them, as well as Chloe and Carver upstairs to his glamorous home. With a soft laugh, Lucifer glanced at her before returning to pouring a drink for himself and then grabbing a second glass for Annika. Before he could fill it up with alcohol, though, she was lifting her hand to decline the offer — she had done enough stepping out of her comfort-zone for one night. Or, more accurately, she had leaped right over the edge with no idea what awaited on the other side.

    "Ah, I'll handle it. Much like I'm going to handle this", Lucifer reassured with a convincing smile after picking up his drink and taking Annika's hand with his free one. Albeit shaken by the warm touch, she let him walk her over to the couches where he immediately rushed to question Carver's interest in dating the same woman after several months. In the meanwhile, she leaned back into the cushions and began to wonder why she had turned down the drink, after all.

    "I'm sorry, who is she?" Carver questioned with confusion, and without even looking, Annika knew she was on the other end of his puzzled stare. And even so, she turned to him with a suppressed smile, the kind that didn't really have an answer for him — it was a good question, one that she hoped to solve, as well.

    Before she could chime in by insisting that she was moral support and a reliable friend, Lucifer was interjecting with an extravagant gesture at Annika. "Well, don't tell me you mind this!" he barked out an amused laugh at the idea that the Hayden's presence was unwanted, and already mustering a weak chuckle at his antics, Annika was placing a hand on Lucifer's arm to calm him down.

    "I'm Annika. I'm here to help", she insisted, at the very least optimistic that she'd be seen as more of an asset than a liability. "And I promise, if anyone can find Lindsay, it's Detective Decker", she added with a soft nod given to Carver, who eased visibly at those words, no longer so rigid around Annika. Maybe moral support was her task to do, after all.

    As Chloe proceeded to present more questions, Lucifer was unexpectedly standing up from the leather cushions and striding over to the balcony with his phone in hand. Undeniably curious, Annika followed suit and joined him in the chilly, dark night with the nip of the wind coaxing a shiver from her. The view from the penthouse was something else, truly — she had never seen her home city like that, but the endless sea of lights and the twinkling stars above warmed her heart. She had lived in L.A all her life, and these kinds of moments convinced her that she had been right to not budge.