↳ CHAPTER ELEVEN

IN SOME STRANGE way, as the next day rolled in, it almost felt like things were back on track

  IN SOME STRANGE way, as the next day rolled in, it almost felt like things were back on track. In reality, Annika had teamed up with Lucifer to find the man's cut-off wings, and that was the furthest thing from her normal, but they were back to spending time together. That was, by any definition, what she wanted to be a part of her routine, even if she couldn't deny that the Devil sitting in an elementary school for lunch with one of the teachers was a hard image to picture. But, it was as real as the joy whirring in Annika's stomach while she sat by her desk, Lucifer on the other side and a shared pizza between them.

    "I ran into the lovely Maeve on my way here. She seems delightful", Lucifer noted while sucking his fingers clean from the tomato sauce, and looking down at her own pizza slice with wide eyes, Annika chuckled. She was, indeed, delightful, but thinking back to the moment Maeve had texted her obscene emojis at the sight of Lucifer bringing her pizza to work, Annika wasn't quite sure if the man had gotten a realistic first impression. In fact, it was surprising that the science teacher still hadn't shown up on the other side of Annika's classroom, gesturing something incoherent and inappropriate through the window.

    "I think her and Maze would get along", Annika hummed thoughtfully, and gasping in agreement, Lucifer rubbed his hands together like an evil genius. No doubt, she had brought new ideas to life, but rather than letting him shed light on any of it, she was thinking back to the bartender she had met only a handful of times. "So, she's a demon, right? Which... supposedly makes sense."

    Chuckling, Lucifer drew a sip of his soda, only to cringe at the bubbles afterwards. "My trusted ally, yes", he sighed proudly, only for the thoughtful creases on Annika's forehead to get another approach from him. "I understand this is all quite baffling to wrap one's pretty head around. But you've taken it rather well so far. Whatever questions you have, I'm an open book, darling", he continued, charming as ever, and breaking into a soft smile, Annika nodded in gratitude.

    "Well, I would like to know how far that immortality of yours extends. And do you have any, uh, superpowers or something? Also, am I going to hell for... you know...", she began before dropping her voice to a careful whisper, "having sex with you?"

    Although he meant well, Lucifer broke into a wholehearted laugh before shaking his head and tackling her burning questions one by one. "For reasons I'm yet to find out, sometimes I'm immortal, other times I'm not. I am not a comic book hero, but I have a few nifty tricks when it comes to revealing people's deepest, darkest secrets", he listed before leaning over the desk and poking Annika's nose gently, "and I assure you, a woman as caring and understanding as yourself is most definitely not going to Hell."

    Sighing out in relief, Annika nodded before rubbing the pressure of his touch away from her nose and then resting back into her seat with a full stomach. She could get used to this — lunch breaks with the Prince of Darkness, a sense of domesticity amidst all the busy drama that seemed to follow him around relentlessly. And, accordingly, it didn't take him long to bring up a related topic.