↳ CHAPTER FIFTEEN

ANNIKA WAS PROUD

  ANNIKA WAS PROUD. She wasn't one to enjoy exercise very much, but with Maze's help, she was learning how to defend herself and she wasn't sure there was a better way to do that than with a demon created for hurting others. Now, she could put up a fight and picking her up off the street wouldn't be so easy, making her more than satisfied with her day's work.

    On top of that, she had gotten a much-needed drink with Maeve who always knew how to cheer anyone up, and afterwards, Annika had stopped by the therapist Lucifer had arranged for her. Indeed, Linda Martin was more than capable and even just one session with her had brought Annika relief and comfort. With another meeting booked for next week, the Hayden didn't doubt that with time, she'd be able to shake hands with her trauma and accept what had happened to her.

    Stepping out of her bathroom, Annika tightened the white towel around her body and let her hand wander into her dark curls to ruffle while walking into the bedroom. It felt good to be home, at last. With the weekend having arrived, too, she didn't have to worry about classes, simply correcting exams and checking in with her students, and the Civilian Consultant gig for the LAPD was probably now a done deal. She hadn't gotten even nearly enough chances to just breathe and relax, so as much as she had enjoyed her adventures with Chloe and Lucifer, she supposed it was time to leave the crime-solving for the pros.

    But, just as she trusted that everything was okay for a while, life had to intervene and throw something else at her lap. She had barely gotten to get dressed and settle in front of her TV when there was already a knock on her door and she was forced to get up. A weary sigh slipped from her mouth as she strode over to the front door and opened it with a quick yank, still putting on a smile to greet whoever awaited, only for a frown to quickly take place, instead. Lucifer stood at her doorstep, clearly upset and shaken by whatever he had been up to ever since he had left that morning, and Annika didn't need to be asked — she instinctively stepped aside to let him in.

    "What's wrong?" was her first, immediate reaction as she shut the door and watched Lucifer slump onto her couch cushions and bury his face in his hands. Concerned, she rushed to his side and placed a hand on his shoulder, softly caressing him while trying to break through the haze he was in despite him making it so truly hard for him. He was always so loud and confident, radiating strength in every possible manner, but it was clear that he had a tendency to hide things and bottle up his feelings. It was heartwrenching to know he wasn't always as okay as he insisted on being, but at the same time, it warmed her heart to know that he trusted her enough to come to her when he needed support.

    Chuckling with anything but amusement, Lucifer dropped his hands and turned to Annika with exhaustion evident in his gaze. "Someone is killing people in my name, toying with it as if I ever wished for this or aimed to murder innocent humans. As if I am so terribly evil", he rambled with his voice cracking, "and now detectives Decker and Douche think I have something to do with this and everyone is turning against me." Before he had even finished, Annika had wrapped her arms around the man and brought him in for a gentle hug, one that he accepted willingly, his head coming to rest on her shoulder while he trembled against her.