Chapter 2

~ Chapter Two ~

Alex was standing there trying to reason with himself on why he was really there, but the only thing he could come up with was that he wanted to know about Chels's boyfriend, and he wanted to know how she was doing, so he was asking the one person who would know, Derek Roland. Walking  into the store he stood behind the guy standing at the counter looking over his shoulder he notice the guy was buying a Longhorns jersey, smiling to  himself Alex remembered those days, he and Brandon had ruled that team for four years, him as quarterback and Brandon as linebacker they had taken  them to three out of four championships. Those were the days, Derek's voice brought him out of his troll down memory lane, and when he looked up at  him and smiled Derek leaned back with a grin and said, "I'll be damned, Alex Wilkins. How are you man?" Shaking his hand Alex nodded and said, "Pretty good, it’s been a while." then looking around the store he said, "I can see you're doing well."  Derek chuckled and nodded and said, "Yeah I'm doing alright, but you should see Chelsea's now that’s something." Alex grimaced and Derek cocked his head to the side and said, "You've already been to see Chelsea haven't you?" Alex shrugged and said, "I was in Dixie and we kind of ran into each other in the diner, didn’t end well though." Derek cocked a brow at him and said, "What's that mean?" Alex gave a half smile and said, "Her boyfriend showed up."

First surprise then anger crossed Derek's face but before he got anything out a short little blonde came through the door with chin length board straight hair, in a skirt pinstripe suit and heels, her make- up perfectly done, she screamed professional and ‘don’t mess with me', definitely not the kind of girl to be in a sports store, her voice was soft and female, her face half bent over a folder as she talked through a phone that was nowhere to be seen.  Derek turned half annoyed and half pissed toward her, so Alex did to, he was dying to see what this little firecracker wanted in a sport store, the moment  she looked up and saw him at the counter she froze and said to the person on the phone, "I'll have to call you back, I have another call coming in." then  she reached under her hair and clicked something in her ear and pulled it from her ear and through it in her briefcase, with the folder before looking back  at Alex and saying, "Well  hello handsome, I was wondering when you would come back." he saw Derek shake his head from the side of his view and he raised  his brows at the blonde and looked back at Derek, Derek smirked and said, "Mel honey, do you know who this is?"

Alex’s gaze swung back to the blonde and he said, "No fucking way! Melanie!" Shaking his head he grinned and put his arms out for a hug and she willing came and gave him a hug he put one hand to the top of her head and she only came to the middle of his chest, he patted her head and said, "Well you didn’t get much taller did you shrimp." Mel punched him in the gut and pushed back with a grin on her face and said, "You have to eat lunch with us, have you been to see Chelsea? I'm sure she can't wait to see you --" Derek interrupted her at that and said, "What the hell is this about Chelsea having a boyfriend Melanie?"

Alex looked a Derek and for the first time it occurred to him that Derek might not have known about Chelsea's little boy toy, maybe they weren't as close as they used to be, no Alex couldn’t see them being any different, but then why wouldn’t Derek know about the dude Chels was with, looking back  at Mel who rolled her eyes and sent Alex an accusing glance she said, "I can see you've already been to see Chelsea, and for the record he is NOT her  boyfriend not that he hasn’t tried to be, but Chelsea keeps turning him down." Alex and Derek shared a look that said neither one of them believed it which made Mel say, "What happened?" Alex rubbed the back of his neck as he tried to think of a way to explain what happened in the diner, looking at Derek out of the side of his eyes; Derek crossed his arms over his chest and said, "I would like to know that answer as well." Sighing Alex answered honestly, "I'm not really sure, one minute I was sitting there thinking about going and visiting Chels and the next minute she was standing there in front of me, and … " trailing off he looked at Derek and shrugged he wasn’t sure if he should tell Derek he practically attacked his little sister in the middle of the diner, but Mel stepped toward him and said, "And? If you don’t tell him someone else will, he is spending the weekend with her this weekend."  Alex looked from Mel to Derek and sighed, "Well, I don’t really know how it happened man, but one minute we were sitting there looking at each other and the next minute we were all over each other." Alex let out a shaky laugh and shook his head at the memory of Chels' kiss, looking up at Derek who’s brows were raised and his face was covered in shock, like he couldn’t believe what he was hearing; Mel grabbed his arm and said, "In the middle of the diner?"  Alex looked at her and gave her a half smile and said, "Yeah at the counter by the register too." at that he got a groan and a head shake from Derek.