HI MY NAME IS Public Enemy #1

The fall seemed like forever.

Was I even falling? All I knew was that it was dark, and I wasn't touching the ground.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could hear voices calling my name. The voice was familiar, but I couldn't place whose it was.

"SOUL! Wake up! Please!"

"I'm not going to lose you here!"

Huh?

A flash of grey and fair skin, then just black again.

"Wake up! PLEASE!"

"I'm going to go get a teacher. It's gonna be ok!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

POMF

My face was... cold?

Oh, it's just snow.

A door opened somewhere far away, but I couldn't place where. I didn't care.

I survived?

"I SURVIVED!" I yelled joyously. I tried to get to my feet, and then suddenly winced.

My left leg was screwed up.

In a howl of agony I collapsed back into the snow, the fur lining of my coat's hood brushing my face.

"Hey, are you ok?" a voice said. It sounded masculine. Judging by the tone, it belonged to somebody in either his late teens or in his early 20s. I blearily lifted my head and looked up at him.

And then instantly did a double take.

The guy was in his late teens, maybe 18? Probably, but heck, did that even matter when you looked like that? He had red eyes, with pupils slit like a cat's, dark hair that reached halfway down his back and was perfectly straight, a well-toned build you might find on a high-school football player or maybe a surfer, pale skin...

...and a pair of dark, feathered wings.