Fallen Angel's Heritage

56 MILES FROM THE NORTH POLE.

INSIDE A HOLLOWED-OUT CLIFF, A CASINO LIES.

WITHIN RESIDE THE GREAT FORCES OF EVIL, LEAD BY THE NEW DEMON LORD, TRICK GRAELL.

ONE UNFORTUNATE BOY DISCOVERED THE CASINO BY ACCIDENT, AND NOW LIVES THERE.

THIS IS HIS STORY.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"Alright, alright," Trick yawned. "Get to sleep, will you? I'm still trying to get an official death record for Satan from the multi-dimensional bureau of records and your bullshit isn't helping me think."

I immedeately saw Rico and Lucifer stiffen at the name, but a second later it was like nothing had happened.

Sighing and grumbling, the 8 of us (including Rico) climbed into our beds. None of us were too tired, but we didn't want to argue.
I closed my eyes...

------------------------------------------------------------------

Rico was crying again. This time, for someone I never got to meet-

The airship, this time breaking through the cliff, crashing into the windows-
God was back again, finally getting her revenge against the demon lord, who was falling-

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I sat up in terror, grasping my sheets like a lifeline. My sweat was an ocean. My breath was heavy and labored, taking huge gulps of air in with each breath. I shook my growing hair out like a dish towel and sighed. If I was awake, I outta get a snack.

I tip-toed lightly towards the kitchen. I could hear the music booming from the diner.
Suddenly, I saw a shadow appear on the wall. It was another angel, tip-toing around as well. I followed the shadow until I could see him.

It was a boy of about 12. He had black hair that was cut short (not a buzz cut, like a bob) and white feathered wings. When he turned around I could see the expression of awe on his face as he looked around the casino. His t-shirt was sunny yellow and he wore black jeans with it.

"Ahem," I coughed, startling the kid. "What's a kid like you doing skulking around in a place like this?"

The kid jumped, and started stammering out excuses- "Don't mind me, I'm just passing through" "Just stopping by" "Here for the grand tour, ya know?" "Hope you don't mind a kid coming through here" "I'm just looking for my brother, is all..."

"Wait," I started. "Tell me that last one again?"

"I'm looking for my brother," the kid repeated, a little more sure of himself. "I know he's here, Belael told me."

Who the hell is Belael? "Right. If you can tell me who your brother is, Trick will be able to call him through circulation in the morning. If you will follow me, please," I instructed. I winced, as it sounded a lot more rash than it should have.

"Oh," Gabriel said sullenly. "My brother's name is Lucifer Morningstar. He's about 18 and has long black hair-"

"WHAT."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"DUDE, LET GO MY ARM WHAT THE HECK JESUS CHRIST LEMME GO LEMME GO!!!!" Gabriel howled as I strode down the hall, his wrist in a vice grip between my fingers. The boy was clearly uncomfortable.

I stopped and turned around. "Dude," I started, "Lucifer-"

Trick opened the door. "Yeez, who the hell is this?" they asked cheerfully. "I'm trying to sleep."

"Gabriel Morningstar."

"Yikes, as in Lucifer's... brother?" Trick guessed. "He didn't tell me that detail. How'd this one die?"

"I... stabbed myself..." Gabriel whispered, sounding incredibly ashamed. "Don't tell Lu-bat, yeah?"

Trick dropped everything that they were holding and stared at him in shock. I remembered the time when I first formally met them. The circumstances were... odd, and they wore a similar expression then as well.

It was the expression of defeat.

----------------------------------------------------------

I shook Lucifer gently. He looked at me with wide eyes when he saw the tenderness of my expression.

"Yeez," he murmured. "What's going on? Did-"

I put a finger to his lips. "Someone wants to see you."

------------------------------------------------------------------

When he saw his brother, he let out a strangled sob and ran to pick him up. Gabriel responded by clinging to him like a koala, and the two of them sat there for a minute, Lucifer crying, Gabriel trying to wipe his tears away.

When he finally let him go he started chuckling and whispering, "what did you do, what did you do, you idiot," over and over, black and white feathers drifting around the four of us like fireflies.

"Lu-bat." Gabriel smiled into the softness of his brother's hair.

"Gabe."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I missed my brother, but not as much as I did in that one moment.