Chapter 1

"Wow!"

My brother and I gasped when we saw it. Our new home. My dad clapped as my mother pulled up in the driveway. The house was simply breathtaking. "What a beauty! Just like in the pictures." My mom said.

"It's completely black," I said smiling at Troy.

"Yeah, like charcoal. I've never seen a house that black." He said.

Troy and I are twins so we share the same liking to most things, even colors.

Too me, the house reminded me of something you'd see in a spooky cartoon. Something like Scooby-doo except without the grey skies and lightening in the background. The small porch held a two-person swing, a small green table and chair, some flowers, and an empty bird cage. The front door was huge. A family of six could walk through it at the same time. Although the house was freshly painted, the wooden door could use some glazing with the few touch ups here and there. There weren't any trees near the house, just grass. There were some trees in the distance though. There also weren't other house near us. Being country folks, my family and I were okay with that. We love the open just to ourselves.

When the car stopped, Troy and I jumped out immediately. I took in a deep breath. The air smelled like sweet honeysuckle. Troy ran up to me. "Look April, we have a backyard all for ourselves now and it's huuuuuuge!"

It certainly was huge. Our last backyard wasn't even a backyard. It was just a fence surrounding dirt. Our old neighbors that lived above us trashed it often. They were horrible.

Dad takes out all of our suitcases. Good thing dad paid people to unpack the U-haul and put our stuff in the house already so we didn't have much work to do. He was like us, eager to just settle down in the new house and look around. When we got the porch with our bags, dad stops at the door before putting the keys away. He looks at us...real serious.

"Now kids, you must know that the last owners died in here. You're both 15 and old enough to know that." He says.