Chapter 2

All of us stared at him and bust up laughing, even mom. Dad was always making dumb jokes. Like we'd ever move into a house with a bad history like that.

***

Troy and I had a room across the hall from each other. My room was huge and absolutely beautiful. It looked even better once my bookshelf was filled. There was the huge oval-shaped window in my room. I didn't like it because it was tinted. What a stupid idea. To have a completely black window in a room you couldn't see out of. Who thought of that and why? Good thing it could open. Dad said he'd get that fixed. As a matter of fact, he had to get all the windows fixed because they were all black! Either someone really loved black...or was trying to keep away from looking out of the window.

***

After supper, Troy and I decided to check out the only room we didn't look at. The attic. It was small. Vacant, except for the daddy long leg spiders and dust. The floorboards creaked as we walked around. I felt like I would fall any moment. It was when Troy tripped over something, I saw it.

"Ouch! My toes!" He yelled.

"Troy, look!" I said pointing at the floorboard that stuck up. When I walked closer towards it I saw something glow. It was key and underneath it was a book. And ew, around it was this huge yellow stain still visible in the wood. Someone missed a spot.

"Who breaks a floorboard to hide a book like that," Troy said blowing his toes. He was right too. Why would they hide it up here? With the floorboard up so high. It's as if they WANT someone to find it. I take it out to examine it. A pink and purple hardcover diary. The sticker read, "Diary of Anna Hopes."

Troy scoots over to sit next to me. The diary isn't dusty or anything, it actually looks...brand new. Troy smiles. "Let's read it!"

Before we can open it or even glance inside, our mother screams.