Chapter 13

Troy stood up. "She's in the basement, mom's in the basement!" He clenched his fist. "Let's just call the cops."

I nodded. "That sounded good to me."

But before we could even blink, mom aka Mrs. Doherty is standing in the doorway of our living room. In her regular form too. That twisted demented bent body form. Almost in slow motion she somehow manages to get on all four. Troy and I look for a place to run but there's no way out except the window. Going through the window wasn't an option because there's no way we'd turn our backs on that thing.

She moved one hand forward and it makes this popping and cracking sound. One leg slowly steps over her head and covers her face. "Daddy needs help in the basement kids." She said in the demonic voice. It's a mixture of man, woman, and something else I cannot explain.

I grab Troy's arm. I'm about to tell him to open the window while I keep watch but we both hear our mom and dad screaming. Their screams are muffled and it's coming from beneath our feet. Even through their cries are low, I can sense that something painful is happening to them. 

Suddenly, Troy grabs a lamp from the corner and slams it down onto Mrs. Doherty. "Run!" He calls out, running past her without me. Mrs. Doherty doesn't react. I see her laughing and decide to just run past her too. I look behind me the second I get past her but she's already gone.

We run outside into the backyard and look for the silver ring on the ground. I don't see anything but grass and dirt. We heard mom and dad again, this time, clearer. As soon as we faced the screaming sounds Troy immediately spotted the ring. It was large and under it was a wooden door. He pulled it open quickly. The both of us went down, leaving the door open for light. The stairway was long and I put my flashlight on so we could see.

It was when we reached the bottom I wanted to die right there.