Chapter 4

Dad has his hands raised in the air and is staring at us like what is going on. Troy and I are trying to run out of the kitchen but dad is trying to stop us. He gently pushes us back inside the kitchen. "Hey, hey, hey. Take it easy." He goes.

I almost piss myself and I'm sure Troy is about to as well because behind my dad we both see the burned man walking away until he disappears in the shadows.

"There's a man in the house!" Troy yells.

"Yeah, we have to leave!" I say.

"Leave? What- "

I grab my dad's arm and squeeze it tight. "Dad! Troy and I both saw him!" I say.

Mom finally walks in. "What is all that screaming and yelling? It's nearly 10 PM."

"Mooooom," I whine. "Troy and I saw a man in the house."

Dad shrugs at her and chuckles. "They're just trying to get back at me." He jokes.

Troy and I stare at them real seriously. "We are not joking. We both saw him, mom! We're serious!"

Mom shakes her head. "Please don't take after your father, children." She laughed. "Now come on, it's movie night."

My dad follows her outside of the kitchen. "We're going to watch Wanted."

Troy and I stare at each other in disbelief. "They didn't believe us!" Troy says.

"This reminds me of those Goosebumps books where the parents never believe the kids." I say.

"This is real! They have to believe us." He says.

Troy and I turn off the kitchen light and head into the living room with mom and dad to watch the movie.

Since I'm not a lover of action movies I ended up falling alseep. Somewhere in the middle of the movie Troy nudges me. I'm still dead tired but I can kind of see him. He's sitting on the floor to the side of the couch instead of on the couch like the rest of us. He's hugging his knees, almost hiding his face. "I just remembered something." He says. I can barely hear him because he's covering his mouth with his knees too.

"What?" I say.

"The diary." He says still staring at the TV.

"Oh yeah, I almost forgot." I say. My eyesight is finally working again and the tiredness is going away. I look at the TV then back to Troy. "Why are you on the floor?"

That's when someone walks in the living room. My mom looks at him. "That was long bathroom break. You missed the best part." She says.

"Aw man." Troy says then sits between me and dad.

My head slowly looks back down to where I thought Troy had been sitting. Instead I see the teeth of the burned man. My heart stops. Before I can talk, it crawls away like a broken toy with broken legs into the darkness.

Troy taps me, making me jump. "Hey? What's wrong?"

I look at him. I don't need to tell him because he can see it in my face now. He stares into the darkness and the both of us can his figure. Standing there. Looking at us...