Chapter 15

When I get to the attic I see her sitting on the floor crying. I grab her arm. "We have to go!" I say.

She shakes her head and point at the open floorboards. When I look where she's pointing my legs turn to water. There are two bony hands sticking up from the floor. The more I stare, the more I see the body. I don't know why we didn't see it before but that's where we actually found the diary. Only we didn't see that it was still in her bony hands. I also don't notice that Katie is holding the diary.

I look at her and tell her I'm so sorry. Hand and hand we head for the foor. Once we're out of the attic and almost by the front door there she is. Waiting by the front door.

"Come to the basement, Katie. Come join your sister. Come join your father." Mrs. Doherty says. Here body is bent and she slowly reaches a hand out towards Katie. To my surprise Katie takes her hand but Mrs. Doherty only bends her hand back, breaking it completely off and pulling it from it's limbs. She does the same, but with the arm. Katie is screaming while I'm staring there watching in horror.

I hear the cop sirens in the distance and so does Mrs. Doherty. She looks at me real slow before getting on all four. She leaves Katie on the floor to suffer and crawls outside back towards the basement.

Katie whimpers as she loses a tone of blood. I can only stare in horror as she reaches out for me with no hand. The police pull up on the pavement. I hear their doors shut.

I just stand there. As far as I know it I reported a murder but the only thing laid out in front of the cops is me and a little girl with one hand and one arm...

The End