Chapter 3

Chapter 3

~

"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." - Mark Twain

~

I found my way to the room that Caspian had pointed out for me, and was shocked at what I had found. It was a room that looked exactly like my room from home. It had the same blue and white bedspread, same matching pillows, and, scarily of all, the white wooden bookshelf I kept of my favorite books. I noticed that there was a rather large space between some of them, but I couldn't remember what was there. Then, I saw them. Seven books lined up on my bed. The Chronicles of Narnia.

"Oh my God," I whispered under my breath. I grabbed one of the books, and ran out of the room.

"Caspian!" I called.

His head popped out of one of the rooms with an annoyed face upon it. "What?"

"Why is my room my room?"

"I do not understand."

"My room looks exactly like my room from home." I lifted up the book I was holding. "And why are these here?"

"I do not even know what those are." He rolled his eyes.

"It's your story."

His eyes widened dramatically. "That's not possible. There are no such books."

I began to read out of the book. I started at the part when the Pevensies first got on this boat. "After her, Edmund was heaved up, and then the miserable Eustace. Last of all came the stranger-- a golden-haired boy some years older than herself.

"'Ca-Ca-Caspian!' gasped Lucy as soon as she had breath enough." I reached over and ruffled his hair. "C.S. Lewis certainly got your appearance wrong."

He slapped her hands away. "Don't do that. You make me no more than a pet!"

I stifled a laugh, for his face had turned red as a tomato.

"Can I see the book?" Caspian asked me, holding out his hand.

"No way. I've seen enough Doctor Who to know knowing your own future can affect things." I lifted the book out of his reach.

"But you've already told me one of it's great secrets." He argued.

"That's because it's something you can't change. There are many things in this book you might not want to know. And, from what I've seen, not all the things that happen in this book are going to happen. It looks like this is going to head more towards the movie's plot line."

"Then show this movie and--."

"NO!" I cut him off. "It won't help anything. Trust me."

He sighed in defeat. "Come onto the poop then. Food rations are about to be served."

I burst out laughing. "The 'poop'?!"

"What is so funny?" He gave me a strange look.

"Nothing. It's just that where I come from, poop is usually what we refer to feces as."

He had a look of disgust on his face. "I did not need to know that." Then he motioned for me to follow. The moment the sunshine met my eyes, my nystagmus had a fit. The world around me shook endlessly until I shielded the light from my face with my hand.

"What's wrong with your eyes?" Caspian asked.

"I've had nystagmus ever since I was a little kid. It usually just happens when I see a really bright light or I make it happen," I shrugged.

"How do you do it?" He gave a curious grin.

"I'm not sure. I only know that I can." I shook my eyes at him, and he smiled back.

So, when are we expecting to reach an island?" I asked, as I looked out over the side of the ship.

"We are expecting to reach a resting point in a week. We can let you off there." He replied, coming to look out with me.

"Alright. As long as I'm off of this thing before our three guests arrive."

"Three?"

"Edmund, Lucy, and their cousin, Eustace."

"I've never heard of a 'Eustace' in their family."

"They don't like him very much. He's very... problematic if I remember correctly."

"How so?" Caspian turned to face me.

"He's got a lot of people problems." Caspian gave me a confused glance. "He has a hard time dealing with others, to say the least."

"And you're certain they're related by blood?"

"I'm the wrong person to ask." I jumped off of the box I had been standing on, and walked towards the food I had been promised.

I grabbed an orange, a piece of bread, and a cup of water before heading back to my room to eat.

While I ate, I looked at the books that I had found. I couldn't believe that I still had them. It had been ages since I even had looked at them, and yet, here they were. I flipped through the pages of the Voyage of the Dawn Treader praying that me being there didn't change the plot. Thankfully, nothing had been changed so far, but I had a bad feeling about what was to come. I laid my head down onto my pillow, and decided that there were worse places to be than a mystical world of not only beauty and wonder, but also it's fair share of danger.