28. The lake

Chapter nº 28. The lake

 With my school uniform still on but now warmer with a blazer on top, I exited the house and headed for the lake. On the way, I didn't see him, so he must have got there really fast. 

Once I arrived, a feeling of Dé Ja Vù invaded me. He was lying on the grass, just like the last time. Yes, definitely a good place to talk. I was breathing the same relaxed air from the  previous time we were here.

"You know, I used to come here and swim with Amy every summer noon. We would swim near the shore, all the way around the lake. All the other boys preferred the swimming pool, but not Amy and I"

I was silent, not knowing what to say. So I didn't say anything.

"Mia, can I ask you something?"

"You can ask, but I don't know if I'll answer" I said with caution.

"What's going on between you and my brother? Are you in a relationship or just sex buddies?"

Well, that was direct to the point.

"We're none. We've just kissed a couple of times, nothing else. We haven't nor will have sex" well, I actualy wasn't that sure anymore, but I wan't going to tell Nate that.

"Alright, let's say I believe you. Even though you were pretty much doing it in our couch" I almost blushed, almost.

"Yeah, we kind of got caught up in the moment... I was apologizing for punching him and we got a bit carried away"

"Really, you punched him? Oh God, I wish I had seen that. Can you punch him again when I'm there to see it?" I laughed. "Though now you left me wishing for a punch from you, if that what it takes for you to apologize like that." He smirked and winked. Was he joking or was he seriously flirting with me? Or even worse, was he treating me like a slut?

"Sorry if it's not my business, but what's going on between Nick and you? Now's your turn to ask that question"

His smile faded.

"Alright, I'll tell you. Though I thought you already knew"

"Yeah, Nick never said a word. We kind of don't speak about deep stuff the few moment we even talk to each other"

 "I'm not surprised about that. He's not a very open person, you know. Well, now that I got an answer from you, I guess it's my turn. Nick and I used to be very close before Amy's accident. I was the typical big brother, very protective of all of my siblings. But when I started high school I kind of left them apart. They were younger, and I thought they couldn't keep up with what I was going through. But then they started high school too. And they started going to parties and stuff I think just to feel closer to me. For me, they were just my little brother and sister, and I never thought of them drinking alcohol or hooking up. It was just hard for me to accept that they weren't children anymore. So one night, I went to this crazy pool party, and they followed me there. Nick was passed out from the excess of alcohol, and I was... let's say occupied with a girl. I wasn't even paying attention to what was happening. Before I even realized what was happening, the music had stopped and there was an ambulance. The police arrives some minutes later. When I came closer to the scene, I saw Amy. She was soaking wet, and very very pale. The only colour I could see was the red coming out from her head. She was drunk; she slipped on the wet floor, hit her head and fell into the water. People only noticed when they saw the pool tinted with red."

I was shocked. I could imagine the scene, very clear in my head. No wonder nobody ever talked about that. I was so... I didn't even had words to describe the way I felt. It must have been so hard for all of the Donovans... specially for Nick and Nate, who were there.