13. The new girl

Chapter nº13. The new girl

I had been in this school for one week exactly, and already almost everybody knew me. I had heard people referring to me as 'the exchange girl' or 'the new girl', but at least they were talking about me.

I knew I was usually the centre of attention, but it didn't help that I was a part of the group of the most popular girls and that lived with the hottest guy. 

Truth was, I wasn't complaining. At all. 

I was a little bit worried a about my reputation. I mean, in my first party here, I had made out with a guy I barely knew, but luckily it didn't seem like it was uncommon. 

I was really loving bio. I absolutely loved our teacher. She was young and enjoyed working. She even told us that her husband was the one making the real money, so she was a teacher because she loved it and not because she had to. I usually sat between Harry and Josh. Nick was on the other side of Josh, but usually pretended that I wasn't there. 

I really liked Harry. He was the funny guy, the kind that can't stay in silence for more than ten seconds. And I loved his black curls. They were so cute. 

"Mia, if you tell me again my hair is cute, I'm gonna kick your ass"

Josh laughed, and so did I. 

"But then I would have to kick yours"

"I would love to see that"

"Josh, shut up, this is between Mia and me. Go and talk with anti social Nick. So, Mia, see you after school?"

Josh started whisper yelling 'fight!fight!'

I put my hand on his mouth to shut him up, but I took it out when he licked me. 

"Josh! Anyway... I will have to pass on this one, Harry. I have cheerleading tryouts after school; but next time you won't be so lucky"

He chuckled. "I will enjoy seeing you wearing the cheerleading uniform" he told me with a wink. 

"She hasn't made it into the team yet" so now he was part of the conversation (notice that I am referring to Nick). I rolled my eyes and was going to answer back when the bell went. Saved by the bell. 

"Wish me luck guys! See ya tomorrow!"

I hurried out and went to the bathrooms to change into more comfortable clothes. 

Ten minutes later, I was in the gymnasium, waiting in a row of about twenty five girls. Some looked like they could make this more interesting, but I knew I had this. As they started showing us simple routines, I found myself wanting this. Not because of the stupid dances, but because I wanted to be part of the group; I wanted to have more things in common with the girls. I was going to belong. When it was my turn, all the girl were smiling at me. It was obvious that they were hoping I would be at least a little bit good; they were the judges, and though they were supposed to be impartial, they all wanted me to be in the squad. I took a deep breath, preparing myself to do something I never thought I would.

"Mia! I'm gonna kill you! Why didn't you ever told us you could do all that?" Karen sounded hurt.

Melanie interrupted. "A double hand sprint and summer soult just as a warm up, seriously?"

"I'm sorry girls, but I never lied"

"But you didn't tell us, either!" Poppy tried calming them all down.

"Anyway, it was amazing. How long have you been doing cheerleading?"

"Yeah, you told me you weren't interested!" Karen accused me.

"And I wasn't. I'm doing this to be with you guys. And I had never done cheerleading before. I've been doing gymnastics since I'm five; but I hate showing off. I haven't competed or performed in public in the last, at least, eight years".

"Why?" Melanie asked, curiosity in her voice.

"I guess it is because I want to bother my grandma. She would love me to compete in a national level, and I know I could if I wanted to, but I just won't. Please, girls, don't press me on this one. It's kind of delicate" I said softly. I was really grateful when they dropped it.

Poppy asked "And what about the steps? You were so good!"

I laughed. "Honey, I've been going out and dancing since I'm fourteen. And there you have no choreography, you just have to feel the beat and move along"

"I'm so jealous!" Karen said.

I couldn't believe that. She was everything all girls envied, but here she was, telling me she was jealous of my abilities!

"Okey, girls. Let's make a toast!" Melanie exclaimed. We all took our glasses. We were sitting in the local cafeteria, relaxing after the tryouts. "For the new member of the squad and part of the sexiest girls group!" we all raised our glasses and the 'clink' and 'clanks' made me smile. I was officially one of them.