6. Not a morning person

Chapter nº6. Not a morning person

I opened my eyes to see a face staring at me. He had a fair mass of hair and bright blue eyes. It definitely wasn't Max, but I had never seen him before. When he realised I was awake, he stood straight. For a second, I thought I was seeing double. But no, the boy standing next to him was different. To start with, he was taller, and his smile was different.

"Hello! You overslept. You are running late for school", the shorter one said. He almost seemed happy to tell me that. What was wrong with this family?

"Mmm, can I have my room so I can change, please?"

"Oh, right! Sorry" he said between chuckles. They left my room like if they were fighting or something.

That was weird...

I quickly changed and ran downstairs. I was guessing that those two teenagers that crashed into my room were Thomas and Frederick, the two brothers that I still had to meet. They looked like twins, but the first one was fourteen and the other one was twelve. I supposed the tallest one was the oldest.

By the time I was ready, everybody was in the car. An elderly woman (Gretel, the cook) handed me my breakfast and made me hurry to the minivan. It was driven by a chauffeur; how surprising... (Notice the irony).

When I hopped into the car, it was chaos. Everybody was almost shouting.

"SHUT UP!" They all did as said. Finally. "Thank you. I've been here for one minute and you were already giving me a headache".

"Someone is not a morning person..." Nick wasn't the one that said that. It was Max. I was astonished. He was supposed to be only eight!

I shoved his head softly. "More respect to the elders, young boy" He only smiled. I couldn't be angry at him. He was too cute.

"Tom, close the door. It looks like the little princess lives in a tent and doesn't know what a door is" Nick said.

I was irritated, but I was more interested in discovering that Tom was actually the shorter one.

"Hey, I haven't officially met you" I said to the 'tweens', as I liked to call them.

I talked the whole trip with the three youngest members of the family. Fred, as he liked to be addressed as, was still in primary school, so we dropped him and the little devil first. The chauffeur was a nice middle age man called Calvin, and I found myself talking with him when Tom decided to ignore me and play with his Nintendo DS.

After thirty minutes, we pulled out in front of the school. It had 'hell' written in every brick. 'Minaburg High School, forming the leaders of the future' I read the banner hanging above the door. It was a private school, which meant it was full of snobs and spoilt kids. But I had to find someone decent...

"Okay, sis, see you in the car. Have a nice first day" He was kidding, right?

"Hang on a sec, are you telling me you are not gonna show me around and help me find my classrooms?"

"Nope. I am going to pretend I don't know you. Good luck"

And with that, he walked away. I didn't know where to go or what to do. I was standing in the same spot, looking stupid. I am so going to kill that bastard...