Chapter 6: I Heard You're Heading East

Ross' POV

I roll over onto my back groaning, wishing I hadn't decided to sleep on my arm because of the fresh imprints on my arm. The sun shines into my room from the open window every morning. This morning, sun feels like God's burning rays of dissolution that remind me of Laura's previous actions.

Why did she really leave? Was she lying? How far away is she from this house? Does she suspect how much all of us miss her? Would she care if I track her location just to make sure she's ok?

I attempt to drag my cement legs into the bathroom. There the cold water splashes my face and awakens me. It isn't a nightmare - it's life. My hair is a field of blonde grass that hasn't been cared for in a while.

My preset text tone goes off. Is there a chance it's from Laura? Or is it from Courtney? Or one of my brothers?

The message reads:

I have urgent news! I'll be at your house in 10 mins xx

Courtney, not Laura. My arms and legs move in a speed that, in my mind, I didn't know was possible. I feel a muscle tee being thrown over my head and later, my legs are overlaid with skinny jeans. Wearing only boxers to sleep really speeds up this process.

Eight minutes later I check myself in the mirror; I appear as if nothing is negatively affecting me. That's what one can easily interpret from looking at me. Inside I think my soul is dying. And as they say, whatever you see in the mirror isn't at all what's inside.

The doorbell chimes as music to my ears. I race my shadow to the door and beam at my awaiting girlfriend. I may have lost someone last night, but my special someone is still here. I open my arms to welcome Courtney, but she ducks down and avoids it. She wears a teasing grin while watching me fall solemn.

"What was that urgent news you had to tell me?" we walk down the hall and I sling my arm over her shoulder. Again Courtney rejects my action, ducking under my arm to stand in front of me. I hardly get to touch her at all recently.

Courtney disregards my expressions and instead her eyes light up with earnest to speak. "My agent called this morning and it turns out that I'm going to be a part of a huge, annual modeling project. I'm one of the headlining models!"

"Congrats, Court! I'm so proud of you! You finally got your big break!" I extend my arms to welcome her, but she repeats her previous dismissal of a gesture.

"I've been awaiting an opportunity like this for months! Unfortunately there is some bad news - the project lasts an entire month and I have to be in New York starting tomorrow."

My facial expression sums up every emotion I feel. "Oh," is the only murmur I manage to express. "I'm lucky to be able to understand how saying goodbye is so hard."

She proudly smiles; a brief hug is the only acknowledgement I receive of her remorse. She leaves my house with a brisk walk and drives home to pack. Courtney most likely knows how susceptible I am to a breakdown at any moment.

A reflection of the past two days is a nightmare. The difference between a week ago and now is, in the morning, I can no longer wake up to a pleasant continental, home-cooked breakfast. It can only satisfy if I see either of my two favorite people sitting there, waiting for me.

I decide not to chase after them. Instead, I play on.

Courtney's POV

The plane lands at the airport in New York, I pull out my right earbud to hear the airplane protocols. Soon enough I proceed to follow the signs to baggage claim. Signs for ground transportation generally follow where I'm heading. I'm not far from the New York home and exhilaration I feel much more welcomed in than LA.

The thing is, I'm pretty well-versed in street smarts. I have a boyfriend that I can't stand, even though he's making me millions. I book more modeling jobs and increase in Instagram followers because of that asshole. Keeping everything from him and his family is the challenge. Laura coaxed it out of me once and probably blabbed it to the other Lynch's. I know that Marano girl can never blatantly tell Ross about me to his face. She is way too mortified of how he could react. I suppose it's beneficial to have chosen a target with a girl best friend that would do anything for him. Laura's fear stops her from revealing the truth.

My suitcase comes into view from around a corner of the luggage carousel. I heave it off the moving belt, readjust my backpack, and place the earbud back in my right ear. About one song later I'm out of the airport and waiting to be picked up.

I see my boyfriend's car emerging from the bend and feel myself light up. Once parked, he hops out from the driver's seat and kisses my cheek, then loads my suitcase into the trunk. I get in the passenger seat and wait for the other seat to be filled.

"Long time, no see," he greets slyly, sliding behind the wheel. "I almost missed you."

"Shut up, Scott. You love me," I reluctantly stare forward at the open road, clearing my mind of all things California.

Ross isn't here, he doesn't know what I'm doing to him. And for how long I've been doing this. I wonder how he would react if he found out about my real boyfriend. No, I don't wonder that. I don't care about that dickhead.

"Whatever. How was California? Have you mastered Fame 101?" he keeps his focus without looking at me.

"It's not that easy. Ross is a love blind idiot, but I'm not fully satisfied yet. It could take another year. Surviving through the pain is the worst kind to endure, but I'll do anything if I it means I benefit from the result."

***

Oh wow boring chapter heh sorry I'll be getting back to Laura in the next one

No one was able to guess the A&A episode from the "there's a North Dakota" reference in the last chapter but it was from Tunes & Trials when Trish was telling Austin his career was going to be over if Austin really stole the song and he would have to change his name and move to North Dakota. It was the same episode where Austin asked Ally if she knew that there's a West Virginia (after Austin says he bombed his geography test)

No shout out for it but guess which R5/A&A song lyric I stole to make the title of this chapter it's really easy lmao I love bending lyrics to make chapter titles so expect a lot of them in this story

Vote/comment!

Happy early Halloween!

Steph (yesifeelgoodr5)