Chapter 12: In Perfect Harmony

Laura's POV

Monday morning.

Another day, another fresh start, another chance for Ross to realize beauty isn't only skin deep.

It feels like he's beginning to come to his senses. However it's only a matter of time before Courtney returns for real. My time is limited, and that's my challenge: make Ross see I'm the one here in a time period less than three weeks.

I knock on the Lynch's front door dressed as Courtney, prepared for more opportunities to prove my beliefs to Ross. When no one answers I knock again, but again there's no response. Warily I take a shot in the dark and twist the doorknob. It turns a full 180° and I'm not at all surprised to enter the house hearing guitar strumming originating from Ross' room.

Racing my feet up the stairs, I knock soundly on Ross' door. "Come in," is the solemn response I receive in return.

I open the door and of course, Ross is sitting on a wooden stool with his guitar. A pencil is neatly tucked behind his ear and his hair is tousled. The R5 guitar pick nests between his fingertips, gently strumming the guitar.

"Hey, it's me," the voice modifier pronounces everything in Courtney's voice.

It's time to get to work. "What um, what song are you playing?" the curious part of me wonders.

"Some chords. I'm trying to write something, but I don't really have any inspiration at the moment. Meaning I can keep all of my attention on you," Ross lifts the guitar over his head. "What's up?"

This is it, Laura. Talk to him like you know you can. You're best friends, remember? There should be no difference.

"Not much really. I was thinking... we're a couple," I choke behind the words knowing what my appearance is to Ross, "But we hardly know anything about each other. And I guess late is better than never," the idea of Ross and I not knowing anything about one another humors me.

If only that boy knew.

"You've got a point there," he plops onto his beanbag chair and I take the desk one. "So what do you want to know about me? I'm an open book. I'll tell you anything."

The word ignites a sparkle in my eye. This will be the conversation when Ross discovers what's inside is better than the outside.

"I wanna know everything. Your favorite movie, biggest pet peeve, favorite song to perform with R5, favorite Beatles song, everything."

He flashes me a mischievous smile. Not a smile at Courtney, but at me. It warms my heart inside knowing my plan is succeeding, but also because I know the answer to every question I've just asked.

"My favorite movie, like of all time is Romeo & Juliet - the 1968 version - it's the best one. I also love Moulin Rouge, though. And I think my biggest pet peeve is when I'm trying to talk to someone across a table or something, but they're on their phone and not even paying attention. Performing with R5, I'd say Wild Hearts is my favorite. Either that or F.E.E.L.G.O.O.D." the way Ross' personality brightens so much while talking about Romeo & Juliet reveals the best friend side of him I've been aching to see.

"And your favorite Beatles song?" I prepare myself for his long response just like the first time I asked Ross.

"Favorite Beatles song, oh my God. I got it, I got it... okay, I think it might be um... 'Oh! Darling' is definitely up there for me. I think honestly, um, maybe 'Happiness is a Warm Gun.' Or, or... I mean you can't - probably 'All You Need is Love.'"

"Yeah, I know. There's literally so many. Um, 'Oh! Darling,' 'Ob-La-Dee, Ob-La-Da,' but of course, I totally agree, 'All You Need is Love' is such a classic."