Cae (Ten)

He screamed for me to run as the horrid creature dragged him off into the trees.

I gasped and sat bolt upright in the saddle, scrambling to avoid falling off. I rubbed my eyes in frustration and looked around. Even during the day the nightmares plagued me. I thought I had left them behind long ago.

For the last two years I had traveled between the cities of Rohan and Gondor taking work where I could. I fletched arrows, carved trinkets out of wood, worked in seamstress shops. Men paid good money for elvish styled arrows and the women and children were enchanted by the trinkets and gowns that I created. I had also well-learned in the art of elvish healing and was more than welcome in most villages.

Most of the money I made went towards food and supplies as I continued on my journey.

I stayed in lodges and taverns when I could. I even worked in several of the taverns, exchanging work for a roof over my head and food in my stomach. Occasionally the people who still had respect for the elves (and those who believed my story, that is) would offer me a room for free. Some even took me into their homes. 

More often than not however, I camped on the outskirts of town, so used to it after years of travelling. But I was happy living constantly travelling and living on the road.

Before I traveled through the mountains to Gondor, I skirted around the edge of Fanghorn forest to visit Lorien. I had not been there in nearly thirty years, since I had last been there with Legolas, yet Lady Galadriel and Lord Celeborn welcomed me gladly.

One night while I resided there, the Lady of Lorien had came across me sitting alone by the small stream that ran through the forest. The forest was small, tiny compared to the Greenwood. And yet, it was so much more beautiful.

"You are troubled," she said, appearing behind me, startling me as I stared blankly at the water. The leaves rustled calmly about us ans the stream bubbled over the rocks.

"I am, my Lady," I responded. I had been sitting there thinking, debating whether I should continue North to the Woodland Realm or continue traveling.

Galadriel gracefully took a seat on the rock next to me and dangled her bare feet into the water. "You wonder if you should go home-but you wonder if it truly is your home."

I nodded.

"The dreams trouble you." It was a statement, not a question.

"I thought if I left the forest they might stop," I whispered, "I wouldn't have to keep re-living his death once I stopped having to see the place it happened every day."

"You come from a troubled past. You have loved someone greatly and and lost them to a tragic death," she said in her low mystical voice, "It will not be the last time."

I looked up suddenly. "It's not?" I asked in a terrified whisper.

"No," she replied softly, "But do not let that discourage you. Travel freely, love deeply, then return home to your family." She gently brushed a strand of loose hair out of my face, "Natye turcafinwe, nessa erea."

Her words echoed in my head as I rode along the road. "You are strong, young one," she had told me.

Gilith swayed steadily below me as we picked our way along a well traveled road. Another stop in Imladris before I continued along my way.

Unlike the last time I had visited years ago, I only remained in Imladris for a few days before I set out again.

"This is the Hidden Passageway," Lord Elrond told me as we stood beside an opening in a rockface. We sat atop horses, accompanied by Lady Arwen and several guardsmen. "It will lead you safely to the Great Road. Follow it West. It will lead you where you want to go."

"Thank you, my lord," I bowed respectfully, "For your hospitality and kindness during my visits. King Thranduil will be sure to hear of it when I finally make my way back."

He raised an eyebrow, "And do you plan to return to the Woodland Realm?"

I smiled and nodded, "After this last trip, I do plan to return home. I fear that it has been far too long since I have."

"Then I wish you the best of luck," he replied, "Goodbye, Lin."

Arwen leaned over and pulled me into a tight hug, "You are always welcome here, Lin. And be sure to use caution when travelling through the Trollshaws."

"Hantale, melonen," I smiled, "I will be sure to do so." (Thank you, my friend)

I watched Elrond and Arwen turn and leave, followed by the guards as they took the rocky descent back down into the Hidden Valley.

I turned and led Gilith through the opening and into a long rocky tunnel. Before long the ceilings began to slope lower and I had to dismount and walk alongside my horse.

After what seemed like ages of walking through the winding tunnel, we came to an opening and I guided Gilith safely over the rocks and into the sunlight. I placed my foot in the stirrup and swung my leg over the horse's back once again.

"Come on, Gilith" I said as my eyes swept across the rolling hills surrounding us. "Let's go see those little folk that Mithrandir always spoke so highly of."