Pae-a-Tolodh (eighteen)

Clank. Clank. CRASH.

"You fight well for a dwarf," I breathed, blocking Kili's strike and weaving around behind him.

"I could say the same for you, she-elf," he retorted, spinning around to block my swing.

We were in the practice yard, with other dwarves milling around as we fought. Since my leg had begun to heal and I could now walk on my own, I had taken to practicing swordsmanship again. The only problem was, Fili and Kili were the only opponents I could find willing to practice with me, since I was still shunned by most of the dwarves.

I spun away as Kili swung at me once more, my hidden mithril shirt sliding easily with the movement of my body as I ducked and weaved around my opponent.

My hair was pulled back into another braid of Kili's making. I let Kili fix my hair now more often than not, since the dwarvish braids tended to hold my hair back better than the elvish ones I knew how to do. Elvish braids were made for elegance and beauty, and dwarvish braids were made for functionality and endurance. A perfect metaphor for the two very different races.

Kili ducked to avoid another strike and our swords rang together with a loud clang.

Suddenly there was a comotion as someone rode into the center of camp on horseback.

Kili quickly turned towards the noise, although we could not see anything from the practice yard. Using his distraction to my advantage, I hooked my foot around his ankle and knocked his feet out from under him.

He hit the ground with a loud "Oof!" I place my foot on his chest and had my sword pointed in his face before he had the chance to raise his blade again.

"Be wary, what is a distraction to you may not be a distraction to your opponent," I instructed seriously, taking my foot off chest and holding out my hand. I had learned that lesson the hard way.

His look of disbelief turned into a grin as he grabbed my hand and let me help him up.

"You, Melody," he said once on his feet, "Are perfect." He kissed my cheek.

But I was distracted by a flash of familiar grey clothing from around the side of the meeting hall.

"It can't be," I whispered, slowly sliding my sword into it's scabbard on my belt. Then I started walking, transfixed, towards the center of camp.

"Melody, what's wrong?" Kili asked, trailing after me.

I quickened my pace and ran around the side of the meeting hall.

And there, dismounting from his horse, was the wizard who sent me into the mountains in the first place.

"Lady Melody!" he smiled, using the end of his staff to straighten his hat.

"Mithrandir!" I grinned, running forward to hug my old friend. "Mae govannen!"

"Mae govannen," he nodded, "I see you took my advice."

I crossed my arms. "Not without a few setbacks," I said more seriously.

He raised an eyebrow, "How so?"

"I was attacked by wargs," I replied, "They killed Gilith."

"I'm sorry, Melody," he said guiltily. Then he eyed Kili, who was standing protectively behind me. "Well, it looks like the dwarves have taken good care of you none-the-less."

"Mithrandir," I said slowly, "Do you have any news of the Woodland Realm?"

He paused. He opened his mouth to speak when the door of the meeting hall burst open and Thorin came strolling out.