~P R O L O G U E~

[Heyo! It's me, Rain, with a fanfiction! Now, I'm not going to say 'don't hate blah blah blah,' but please avoid rude, pointless comments. I'll probably ignore them because I'm too lazy to deal with you. I love constructive criticism but pointless, abusive criticism will be dealt with as is needed.

You probably know these but,

(Y/n) = Your name

(L/n) = Last name

(Y/c) = Your chumhandle

********

3rd grade. Karkat and (Y/n) were considered the two most adorable best friends out of all the elementary kids by parents, teachers, and elders in the community. Nothing could separate them! Until the summer, right as Karkat was leaving (y/n)'s house.

"We're moving!"

"Ugh~" I groaned. The moving trucks were outside, and the busy voices were echoing through the now empty rooms of the house. Me and my parents were moving yet again. The boxes had been taken out of my room, but I was too drained to leave. I was used to moving around and around through the state of Ohio, but I had only moved to a different state once... When I left Karkat. Tears welled up in my eyes at the thought of my loud, sort of angry, but also a big sweetheart best friend. I wiped them off, forcing myself to stand up.

"(Y/n)! (Y/n)!" My mom called, speed-walking through the house.

"What?" I groaned.

"You get to go back to Texas and live with your Grandma!" She smiled at me. My mom wasn't exactly what you'd call lovely ever since my dad decided to worm his way back into our life, but she had her moments. I was jumping up and down, filled with excitement. Sadly, that slowly died down.

"What about you and Henry?" I crossed my arms.

"Henry has to move because of his business. I thought I'd let you stay with Grandma, and she agreed!" She hugged you.

"Will you be coming with me, then?" I asked, excitement tingling within me.

"No," she said softly, no longer hugging me. She had her hands on my shoulders and looked into my eyes. "Sweetie, you know I can't come with you. Your dad has to work, and he needs someone to take care of the house while he's gone."

The happiness that filled the room only moments ago dissipated. Tears started streaming down my face faster than I expected.

"Mom, you can't just leave me! I'm 15, I need you! I want you with me for the last few years before I move out!" I ripped her arms off my shoulders, backing away from her.

"Sweetie, would you like to come with your dad and I to California? I could stay with you, then," she said softly.

"No," a voice came from in the hall, "and it's come with your father and me. Be professional, wife."

Henry.

"Why?" I shrieked, wiping my tears away before Henry could find another reason to call me a disappointment.

"She'll only be a distraction. With this new job, I'm going to need both of us to keep our attention focused on this job and our business. Kids will get in the way," Henry sneered.

"Does that mean Adam will be coming with me?" I smiled, referring to my awesome older brother.

"I said kids will be a distraction. Adam is mature enough to be considered an adult," Henry laid his hands on my mom's shoulders. 

"Mom! Can at least Adam come with me?" I begged.

"(Y/n), your father is right. Adam is a much easier to handle child, and we really do need to focus," Mom said. Of course, now that Henry's here, she's back to being his little sidekick who agrees with EVERYTHING she says.

"Mom, Adam only seems like the nice kid because, even though he's otherwise awesome, he decides to pretend and act like he's all too happy to be Henry's perfect little duplicate. He hates Henry, just like me, because Henry is stuck up and probably doesn't even love us!" I shouted, tears once again streaming down my face. Mom had a genuinely sad look on her face, and I thought she would finally pull through and tell Henry what he's needed to hear for the past 7 years.

"(Y/n)! Stop being ridiculous. Henry will get a driver, you are going to the airport as soon as possible!" Your mother yelled at you. Henry was smirking victoriously as I ran outside as fast as I could to get outside. I pulled out my phone and called Adam.

"Hey! You don't have to rapid-call me 6 times," my brother's soft chuckle helped calm me down.

"Adam, we're moving again," I whimpered.

"Well, that's just fantastic," he said sarcastically.

"No. Adam, I'm not coming with you," I cried.

"What? That's ridiculous. Dad's horrible, but he wouldn't-"

"Yes. He would. He did," I sobbed, gripping the phone tighter.

"Mom would never let him!" Adam yelled with distress.

"She yelled at me. She called me ridiculous, I'm leaving as quick as Henry's stupid money will let me," I explained.

"O-Oh my god," Adam said, choking up.

"Yeah," you sighed, before muttering goodbye and hanging up.