8 Nanna

It was early and the sun had crept through the curtains and onto Kali’s face. She groaned grabbing the sheets to shield her face from the dreadful morning light . She wasn't a morning person especially given that she had worked last night. She had to remind herself to tell Carter that if she was going to be spending so much time at his home that he had to look into getting black curtains.

“It’s time for you to wake up.” She could hear his voice. Kali pulled the sheets from her face and opening one eye to see the bright light wasn't a result of the sun peeking in through the curtains but it was because Carter had pulled them open. “I could kill you.”

“But you won’t.” He smirked. “Come on get dress.”

Kali frowned sitting up just enough to lean on her elbows. “Why?” Day’s like this when neither of them had plans he was fine with staying in bed.

“We taking a ride.” He told her walking to the bed and pulling the sheet from her body. “Come on Dorothy hates when people are late.” He told her and turned to leave.

“Who the hell is Dorothy!” Kali called after him.  

“My Nanna”! He shrugged as if it wasn't a big deal. But it was. It was huge and since he worked up the nerve he needed to make this happen before he backed out and changed his mind.

Kali’s eyes grew wide and she quickly grabbed one of his shirts because it was the first thing within her reach and put it on before she went rushing to catch up with him. “Your Nanna as in your grandmother?”

“Yup...now are you going to get ready or what?”  

“If she’s anything like her daughter I could care less about meeting the lady.” Kali folded her arms in front of herself.  She had no desire to meet anybody not after the morning she met his mother. Yes she met the guy’s but that was because they were always in and out of Carter’s house. She wasn’t ready for another unpleasant introduction.  

“She’s my fathers mother and she wants to meet you. Trust me she’s nothing like my mother”

____________________________________________________________________________

“What are you doing with that!” Dorothy shouted at the man who was currently replacing her old fashioned television with one that was as thin as a picture frame.

“He’s installing your new TV Nanna.” Carter told her handing her a tall glass of water. “Keep calm woman.” He laughed soon after seeing the look on the elderly woman’s face. He and Tahj have slowly been easing her into upgrading her old ways two weeks ago it was her bedroom set this week it was her television upgraded cable and wifi.  

“I don’t need a new television my old one was just fine.” She sternly told him. She gave him and his brother a hard time when it came to getting her new things but a part of her was happy her grand babies didn't just forget about her.

“Yes but this one is better.” He smiled wide showing her his pearly whites.

“Fine I won't give you anymore fuss. Under one condition.” Dorothy didn’t ask for much but when she did saying no wasn't an option.

“you name it.”

“I want to meet this girl you have been spending so much time with.” She told him.

She never met anybody Carter was with. In his mind no woman he was with was worthy of meeting his Nanna…. until now. “You want to meet Kali?”

Dorothy nodded. “I feel it’s only right. Next Sunday Tahj and Sasha are coming with Olivia. You should bring Kali.”

____________________________________________________________________________