Flames (Part 1) Jiam

Summary; Justin is an awkward teenager who likes to hide away in abandoned buildings to avoid going home. Liam is a firefighter in his early twenties. Justin's irresponsibility leads to him meeting Liam.

Justin

I poked my tongue out of the corner of my mouth as I reached for the top of the shelves, my focus on the scented candle a little out of my reach.

I huffed, growing annoyed with my short-self. When there was something that I wanted, I had to get it.

I had only finished school half an hour ago, and since I was eager to stay clear of home, I went to the mall instead. I usually go find a quiet abandoned area, but my mind is something that easily wanders.

People often describe me as the awkwardly weird kid, which is basically true. I avoid people like the plague, I collect things, hide in old buildings, get attached easily - I'm not a normal teenager.

I guess I liked privacy because when I do get attached to people, it ends badly on myself. They end up getting annoyed at me for being so clingy and weird.

I was almost ready to stand on the bottom shelf to get the candle, until some stranger appeared behind me.

"Let me get that for ya, mate." His thick voice spoke, grabbing the candle at ease.

As I turned to face the kind stranger, he handed me the Strawberry Scented-Candle with a smile.

"Uh-I-th-thank you." I stuttered nervously, trying not to focus on the beautiful moles on his handsome face.

I was tempted to start counting them.

"No problem. Wouldn't want ya to get injured." He patted my shoulder, before heading to the counter.

It took a lot of strength not to stare so obviously. I felt like I needed to hear his voice once more...

I didnt care to check the price of the candle, instead rushing behind the beatiful stranger as he bought himself a protein bar and Iced Coffee.

"Good to see you again, hun." The old lady cooed at the stranger as she scanned his items.

He's a regular? I have got to shop here more.

"Always a pleasure, Mrs. Patterson. I'd love to stay and chat, but I'm a little late to work." He spoke sweetly in reply.

I felt like I was drooling in admiration. Such a pity I dont know the guy.

"You go on, Liam. Stay safe. And that's $7.20." She hummed, staring at the till.

Liam? Okay, I now know his first name... now all I gotta do is find out his last? Thats why you have to love good old phonebooks. How many Liam's are there anyway? I suppose Facebook could help too.

"I'm always careful. keep the change." And just like that, Liam, the kind stranger, had left.

"You cant buy it if you dont hand me the darn thing." An annoyed hiss came from the once sweet old lady.

I blushed when I realised I was standing there blankly. I quickly handed her the candle, mumbling a mix of apologies to her.