Chapter 40

The next few months after the trip went by like crazy. I was now a senior in high school, and college was not far away.

Eric was a little moody nowadays because the Royals didn't make to postseason. Some days, he'd be really mad, other days, he just refused to talk to anyone, even Emmy and us.

I felt bad for Eric, but then again, he'd have to get over it sooner or later. Before he knows it, Aubs and I will be off to college.

Today was Eric's birthday. Right after school, I started baking. A lot of his teammates would be over tonight, and they ate a ton of food. I made cupcakes, cookies, brownies, and of course, his cake. Aubrey joined in on the baking, and she kept trying to steal a cookie or two.

"Parar, Aubrey. Necesitamos los de tarde (Stop, Aubrey. We need those for later)," I scolded her in Spanish. I didn't use Spanish as much anymore because it made me miss my parents. When Eric's parents adopted us, Eric's mom taught us Spanish.

Later, I was in the kitchen all alone, still working on Eric's cake. Eric walked in, and he looked...well, he didn't look like he was in that good of a mood.

"Gosh, since when do you need this much dessert," he muttered.

"It's your birthday..." I started.

"I don't give a damn if it's my birthday. I don't deserve this."

"Don't start talking about the World Series, Eric. It's out of your control. You can't do anything, but train so next year you can get there."

"You don't understand, Mallory."

"Did you come in here just to complain about your job? Eric, get over it."

"God, Mallory. Why do you have to be..."

"Ya he tenido suficiente, Eric. He tenido que escuchar a usted se queja por un tiempo, y estoy cansado de él. (I've had enough, Eric. I've had to listen to you complain for a while now, and I'm tired of it.)"

"I thought you were on my side. I thought you were my supportive sister that would always be there for me, but no."

"Eric, ever since you found out you weren't going to make it to the playoffs, you haven't been the same. You're not acting like you're my brother anymore. Why are you taking it out on me? I'm not the reason you didn't make it to the playoffs." I walked out of kitchen, thankful that my baking was done. He followed me to the living room, where he saw me grab my jacket.

"Where do you think you're going," he asked, frustration in his voice.

"Away from here. It's clear we need a break from each other. By the way, don't bother calling, because I'm not going to answer it. I'll get back home after I've had time to blow off some steam." I casually walked out the door and jumped into the Jeep. Before I drove off, I texted some of my friends to meet up with me at Legends, the outdoor shopping place in KC. I needed someone to talk to about this situation with Eric.

Eric's POV

She just walked out the door, and drove off. It was my own birthday, and my sister, who I thought the world of, was so frustrated with me that she left. To be honest, I have been an asshole the past month. I hope she will come back soon, because my birthday won't be the same without her.