Chapter 41

I ran to the Nike outlet store once I got to Legends. All my friends would be here soon, and I'd go to the meeting place in a little bit. Of course, people recognized me, and it somewhat annoyed me. I took some pictures with some people, faking my smile and not enjoying it at all. I looked through the clothes there, when someone tapped me on the shoulder.

"Julius..." I started.

"Hey, you," he said as he kissed my cheek.

"The others are probably here. Let's go meet up with them."

We walked to the table outside and sat down. Jenna, Meg, and Dean were already there, conversing.

"Marshmallow, what's wrong," Jenna asked worriedly.

"Eric's been an asshole to me, and I haven't done anything to him. Ever since the Royals found out they weren't going to make it to the playoffs, he's been in a bad mood. He takes out all his anger on Aubrey and me..." I started to explain.

"Why don't you talk to him about it," Meg implored.

"I already tried. All he did was yell at me," I admitted as I looked down. I felt tears start building up, and as much as I didn't want to, I started crying. "It's his birthday today, and I think the world of him, but I can't take this shit anymore."

"So, what are you going to do about it? Obviously it's a problem," Julius said frustratedly.

"I don't know how I'm going to solve this problem at this point, but I'm going to find out how. And even though I'm beyond upset with Eric right now, I probably should go back to the house and be with him for his birthday," I told them as I stood up. Everyone was getting up to leave when Julius grabbed my shoulder.

"Dean brought me here. If you want me to drive you to your house, I can," he volunteered.

"Sure Julius. Thank you for offering," I smiled as I took his hand and held it tightly as we walked to my Jeep.

Eric's POV

It was an hour before my teammates and friends would start arriving for my birthday party. I ran to my room and started frantically rummaging through one of my dresser drawers. Emmy walked and gave me a look like she thought I was crazy.

"Eric, what's wrong? What are you looking for," she asked worriedly. I continued digging, throwing out some clothes in the process.

"This," I stated as I held up a dusty old shoe box. I opened it and grabbed the thing I was looking for. A note from Mallory from my birthday the year I was drafted.

Dear Eric,
        Happy birthday big brother. I know this isn't a love note from your girlfriend, but hopefully it means just as, if not more than that. I'm so glad you're my brother, and I will always love you, no matter what happens. I know we have our ups and downs, and I know we always will, but maybe that's what will make us stronger. I wish you the best of luck in the MLB draft. I don't know who wouldn't want you on their team, because you are amazing! One more thing Eric, if you do get drafted, please keep in touch with me. You know that I'll miss you so much. Love you big brother!
                  Love your little sis, Mallory

I was mentally crying, and it wasn't going to take much more before I actually started crying. Emmy read the note and then sat down on my bedroom floor with me and hugged me.

Soon enough, the party started. All the guys were asking where she was, but I couldn't give them a direct answer. Mike and Salvy were the most concerned, because they loved that girl to death. All of my teammates thought of of those girls as their little sisters, but Mike and Salvy seemed to be the closest to them, especially Mallory.

"For the final time, Eric. Where is Mallory? And I want a definite answer," Mike barked as he sat by me on the couch in the living room.

"To be completely honest, Mike, I have no idea. She said she needed time to blow off some steam, so she just left," I snapped.

"Why was she mad? What did you do Eric?"

"I got into a fight with her. She told me she was tired of me being in a bad mood because he didn't make it to playoffs."

"Eric, why are you still upset with that. Get the hell over it. She's way more important than going to the playoffs. She's your sister, and next year, she'll be off to college." I looked down, disappointed in myself. Why am I such a screwup?

All of the sudden, I heard the door open, and I saw Mallory, but for some reason, I looked at her differently than I had before. This girl looked determined. I knew she was probably a bit broken on the inside, but she hid it well. Another thing that was different was that she had a boy standing next to her.

My sister was grown up. I didn't think time was going to go by this fast. It seemed like just yesterday, Mallory was still a little girl. Now she was standing in front of me as a young women. Where has the time gone?