Chapter 36

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! My alarm went off at 6. I jumped out of bed, and put on My Kansas City is for Hustlers tank top, my KC Palm leaf print SnapBack hat, some Nike shorts, and one of my pairs of custom Nike Roshes.

I then entered my sister's bedroom to wake up Aubrey as I was instructed

"Tip toe, through the tulips..." I sang into her ear. She jumped and slapped me in the face.

"God, Mallory! Why did you do that," she yelled.

"Why did you slap me," I asked trying to be serious while trying not to laugh.

"You scared the living shit out of me!"

"I'm sorry. Get dressed though. We got to get on the road." She got dressed and came downstairs with her suitcase and backpack. I'd already put my luggage neatly in the back of our Jeep. I was so excited for this trip. Aubs and I said our goodbyes to Eric and Emmy, who still looked half asleep while slowly drinking coffee at the kitchen table.

We jumped into the Jeep and Aubrey ordered me to drive to the donut shop. She's so goofy, but then again, she probably thinks the same of me. I drove up to the store front of Daylight Donuts, and Aubrey almost did a dive roll out the vehicle. I passed the time waiting by fiddling around with the buttons in the car. She came back with two dozen donut holes. We shared them as we started our traveling down to Branson. I took the first shift of driving, knowing that might doze off if she took the job. She hooked her phone up to the Jeep's console.

"Hopefully I don't burn down the car. This mixtape is fire," Aubrey joked. She turned up the volume in the vehicle and One Dance by Drake came on. Aubs was right. This mixtape was fire! We danced as I drove us along the highway.

We were about an hour out of KC when Aubrey asked me,

"Do you think people are going to notice who we are?"

"People really haven't taken notice of us before. The only times they do are when we're with Eric," I acknowledged her.

"Well, ever since our birthday, a lot more people have been trying to follow us on Instagram."

"I guess you've got a point there, but most of those people live in the Kansas City area, right?"

"You never know, bud. You never know."

After a while, Aubs took over driving. We had the best time singing and dancing to Aubrey's mixtape. Eventually, we pulled into Branson, Missouri. We drove over to the grocery store to get stuff for our condo. We were staying at our timeshare at Big Cedar Lodge. Once we got what we needed, we payed for the items, and scurried out to our Jeep.

I drove to Big Cedar while Aubrey fiddled with her phone. It took a little longer to get out there, but I didn't mind. The place where we were staying was really nice. Tonight we were going to Branson Landing to shop and eat at Joe's Crab Shack.

We arrived at Big Cedar, and Aubrey insisted that we hurry to Branson landing so it wouldn't be too busy at Joe's. My sister and I threw our luggage in the condo and headed for Branson Landing.

Aubrey turned the the volume knob up and Kno One by Kevin Gates blasted throughout the vehicle. We looked and each other and laughed, then started rapping with Kevin. But all of the sudden, my mind started thinking of something else. Would I see him here? Would I see him on this trip? My feelings for Julius had increased during the past two months.

"Mallory...MALLORY," Aubrey yelled.

"What," I asked.

"Why did you stop singing? Why are you just staring at the road?"

"Oh. Sorry. Something just came across my mind. No big deal."

"I'll take your word for it, but let's enjoy this trip, ok? Don't let anything bring you down." Why would he bring me down? "Gosh darn it, Mallory! Stop thinking about him for this trip and enjoy your time with your twin sister," my mind was screaming at me.

I was relieved as we pulled into the Branson Landing parking lot. Aubs and I jumped out, and she took me aside and held up her phone to take a selfie. Make that 15 selfies. She picked out the best one, and posted it.

@aubreyhoz1738: Can't wait to hang out with my sister at Branson Landing!

We dashed to Joe's Crab Shack and got a table. We both ordered crab, and then sat there in silence for a while.

"I know what you were thinking about in the car," Aubrey revealed. "I know you care about him."

"I'm sorry that my mind was elsewhere earlier," I echoed.

"Buddy. I understand why it was elsewhere. He's a really good boy."

"Thanks for understanding, bud."

Our food came out a little after that and Aubrey and I were trying to find easier ways to get the crab meat out of the shells. We payed for our meal and then went outside. It seemed like everything was going great tonight... Until I heard someone yell,

"LOOK! IT'S MALLORY AND AUBREY HOSMER!"