Chapter 10

Kehlani p.o.v

These past couple of weeks have been amazing. Chris has been recording and doing gigs here and there.

I also do gigs, but I have been doing covers lately.

In the afternoon life is normal but at night is when the trauma arises from it's hiding place and totures me. I know I am bulit for the abuse but somethings I am not bulit for like sexual harassment.

Oh yeah and right now I am in a small restaurant where Chris is performing tonight and he's performing his new song Grass ain't Greener.

Smoke and laughter fills the air as Chris steps on the stage and his presence demands attention and the room falls silent. The music starts and he starts singing

You ain't the girl that you used to be. You say you done, you moving on. This ain't the world that it used to be. Looks like a won, looks like you've won.

Sick of leaving messages on your cell. But you never fuck with them. Girl you had someone who really cared
How you fuck it up, girl it's not fair.

I sit in the crowd, amazed at how he is standing in front of that mic and giving meaning to each word he says.

He finishes the song and the crowd goes wild. He smiles and says thank you and leaves the stage. I take a sip of my iced tea and I patiently wait for him to appear.

The MC calls out my name and I am a bit shocked that he called me. I am not doing a gig today, so it's a bit weird.
"Come on the stage Kehlani!" He says and all attention is on me as the spotlight shines on me.

I stand up and walk up to the stage. Chris is standing by the stairs and a smile plays on his lips. I know he is behind this, he really wanna see me perform.

My cheeks flush as I make it in front of the mic. I tell the guy playing the piano that he must follow my lead. I decide to sing my old song You should be here.

I take a few breathes in and out. "Uhm I didn't know I was performing today so I will be doing my old songs" I say and the crowd goes silent.

I can immediately spot Chris at the table I was sitting and he smiles at me. I smile back and start singing.

I'm looking right at you, but you're not there
I'm seeing right past you, but you seem well
aware
Your body is here, but your mind is somewhere
else
So far gone and you think I can't tell
Can't tell that you are disconnected
You pulled away and I miss your presence
I always said to you

Baby you should be here, right here
Don't know where you went but you're lost now
Don't know where you went but you're gone now

As the words flow effortlessly from my lips. I start feeling the feelings I had when I wrote the song. I was so in the zone then the song ended and the crowd went wild.

I walk off the stage and walk to Chris. He smiles and his brown hazel eyes are glossy. It seems like it was the first time he has ever heard me sing.

"Wow" Is all he says as he pulls me into a hug and kisses my forehead. "Thank you" I say smiling. "Let's get out of here shall we?" He says grabbing my hand. "Sure" I say as I lean in for a kiss amd he kisses me back.

We get into to the car amd drive to our apartment. When we get to the apartment I quickly take a bath, I close the curtains around the tub and Chris went downstairs to get our shopping bags from the afternoon.

I hear the door open and there are heavy footsteps. "Chris is that you?" I ask. This sounds like those cheesy horror movies and yes there was no answer.

I reach for the towel and as I was about to get out the tub. I see Jay sitting on the toilet seat. I screech and I slip on the tiles. "Fuck!" I say as I land on my ass.

"Hey Lani, the door was open and your body baby hmmm.. Those tattoos make me hard" he said with a dark look in his eyes. "Jay get the fuck out of my apartment now!" I say standing up, wrapping the towel around my wet body.

" Lani, you know how much I love you and I can't seem to stay away.' He says with a smirk on his face. "You are sick, do you know that?" I say in a disgusted tone.

"No baby, it's called having the upper hand" he says as he walk up to me and I started backing up to the door. "Where you going shawty?" He asks picking up his pace and finally pinning me to the door. "Chris! Help me!" I scream. "Your dumbass boyfriend can't hear you, his still downstairs" he said breathing on my neck.

My heart beat increased rapidly and he started kissing me on my neck. I try all my best in resisting him from doing anything to me. "Chris Help.. Me!" I say almost choking on my tears.

Jay places his hand on my mouth to muffle the screams. I bite his palm and he cusses and I kick his member and I run out the bathroom.

I run to my bedroom and I throw on Chris' t-shirt and basketball shorts. You won't believe how quickly a person can get dressed when they are afraid till they turn pale.

I hear Jay trying to open the bathroom door. So I run to the living room and I grab the baseball bat. I walk backwards to the door,so that I can see Jay approaching me.

I scream Chris' name a few times. He doesn't hear me, as I was about to scream for the last time "Chr-..." I am cut off when Jay appears out of nowhere and he grabs me and pins me to the floor.

I try stopping the tears but I can't. "Chris.. Help me! Chris... Help m-.." I scream at the top of my lungs and I am cut off when Jay collapes on my body again.

Chris hit him with the badeball bat. "Ch..ris..." I stutter while cryingy eyes out. Chris pushes Jay's unconscious body off me. He quickly pulls me into a hug. "Don't worry baby I am here, it's all okay babe.. Chris is here to protect you." He whispers while I shake and cry in his sweatshirt.

How could Jay do this to me again? What have I ever done to him? I thought he was friend but I guess he is just a physco trynna get in my pants. I was thinking of forgiving him but after this I ain't gonna do that.