Chapter 1

Mare POV

When I awoke the first thought that came into my head was I'm alive

Even to this day I still wake up with awful nightmares about Maven, and all the people we lost along the way as well. I hear Cal shift beside me knowing the awful things that are probably happening inside his head. I spare him the trouble by shaking him awake.

"Mare what the hell I was sleeping." he mumbles. I can still see his bracelet glowing from underneath the sheets.

"No, you were shaking like your power was earthquakes not fire Dumbo." I said but in a joking way, I got a smile in return.

"Yeah well you were already up because I know I'm not the only one who has nightmares"

"Fair enough Cal, I do but i don't dwell on it because I know its not real, Maven is dead and we can fell relieved or sad but he's dead, you cant change the past." I say quietly then walk out because I know looking at his face will only make me feel worse. so instead I decide to just go and get ready for the day.

Two hours later

Cal POV

As much as I want to hate her for what she said I know I cant because it hurt her to say it. But it had to be said and she was right, there is nothing I can do now and Maven was ruthless. He hurt and killed many of his people and he deserved to die.

But I still don't know if she said that for my benefit or her own. Im thinking its the ladder.

Sorry its so short I had a rough day and writing feels like torture. I would have skipped  but a special friend of mine wanted to read this so I decided short... but sweet, for now

Any way hope you have a wonderful day unlike mine and hopefully ill feel more up to it next week. I promise it'll get better and longer.

Remember don't be silent.