chapter 7

Mare POV

Finally after what seemed like hours upon hours of talking they all left. I knew that was the TV crew and I also knew that Cal was watching. I held in the screams for as long as I could but I just couldn't do it anymore.

Once I collected myself I looked around. I felt stronger despite getting beat up and I looked around. I realized I was no longer encased in silent stone and I could use my power. But if I did that I knew Maven would be able to sense it. So I had to look for an alternative.

I looked around and I saw a rectangle that was a shade of grey lighter then the rest of the room. I pushed it and sure enough it opened. But I could've sworn that Maven and the crew went another way. Then I remembered back to my days at the compound when Cal and I were going over strategies.

He said when he was little he wanted a way to escape the castle without his parents knowing. He said he carved a way through one of the rooms that wasn't used very often. He said it was a dirt tunnel that led to the woods just outside of the reds territory. I open it more and see a staircase leading down, this was definitely the tunnel.

I begin walking down and my mind wanders off to Cal. His smile, his laugh, all the things I wished to see again. Before I know it I am no longer going down, rather going up. I must be getting close because I can feel the tunnel start to get warmer. Finally I reached the top and opened up a hatch. I couldn't see at first because of the brightness, but then I got used to it and found myself in the middle of the woods.

I walk for hours on end not knowing where I am or how far I've gone. My goal was just to get away from that palace.