A Friendly Reminder

What is the world without us? Would it be empty? Would it still be in the wrong path? What would happen to all those who feel that the world is disrupted? I wondered about this as I was walking, looking at the people roaming around happily. It was a great thing to see people who have understood what they live for. But there is this one boy who did not want to understand why he was living and what his purpose of living is. I struggle to help his dire case.

Dr. James Alfeor closed his laptop and leaned back on his chair while he smoked. He sighed, making the smoke scatter. He looked out his window and saw his patient, Alane Forte, someone who thinks that he should never have been born. James said that Al would be his last patient since he wanted to retire from his job to have more time to himself and his family. He wanted to say no but Al's parents begged him because the other psychiatrists they asked couldn't help him. He was their only hope. James had undergone five sessions with Al but nothing struck Al as life.

"My parents didn't allow me to kill myself." Al said one day as James and him were walking at the park.

"Why would you ask them their permission?" James asked.

"Because it seemed like the better thing to do than to leave without saying anything."

"You couldn't go without saying goodbye?" James asked the younger man with his calm voice.

"No, it seems that I can't."

"And why is that?"

"Maybe it's because I feel more at ease when I say something before I go." Then he sighed.

James looked at the kid like he was some sort of messed up puzzle. He kept on looking, later realizing that he had zoned out and started checking Al out. He shuddered at the thought of him checking out another guy. Then he remembered the time when he actually dated a guy. His brows came to a frown because of frustration and heartache. He heard a distant call.

"Doc? You okay?" Al said. James looked at him and smiled.

"Yes Al. I'm fine. I was just thinking about what to do with you." And James looked upfront. His eyes staring off into the distance, his brain recalling painful memories. Then he sighed deeply. "Come with me. We shall have one last session today."