Three

I should've known this would happen. I was never a morning person and coffee wasn't enough to keep me awake.

I should've known to buckle up, oh god why didn't I buckle up. I wouldn't be laying here in a hospital bed if I would've put on the damn seat belt. If I would've slept a few more hours.

Now I was stuck, I couldn't open my eyes but I could hear. The doctors would come in once awhile and I would hear their faded words about how I was in a coma and my chances were low.

Believe me, I wanted to open my eyes. I wanted to greet the awaking world around me but I couldn't. I wanted to open my mouth and speak, to let my thoughts be heard.

But I couldn't.

I continued laying in the bed, the faint smell of medicine and cleaning solutions entering my system.

I was not fond of the smell, all it could do was remind me of deaths of people that they had cleaned up.

Why couldn't I just die? I had nothing to live for. I had no desires, I had reached the top of the ladder and there was no where else to go.

I had no one, I had no lov- and that's when my thoughts stopped.

My brain had worked so very hard to keep her out but she was in now and I couldn't help but want to cry.

I was leaving her behind, I would never wake up and see her ocean green eyes. I would never be touched and held by those firm, soft hands or feel her soft plump lips against my skin.

The thought made me want to cry harder.

I would never see Lauren Michelle Jauregui again.

------

I had faded deep down into an abyss of blackness before being awoken by sounds.

I fought hard to open my eyes as I heard yelling.

The yelling of the one and only girl who would break my heart.

"Let me in!" I could hear her yelling in the hallway as sounds of footsteps padded down the marble floors.

"Ma'am, I'm sorry but only family is allowed at this moment," a soft nurse's voice ushered as frustrated growls of anger emerged from Lauren. I heard more yelling but I couldn't focus on it.

She had came to see me. She wanted to see me.

She cared.

----

After disappearing into the abyss again, my mind woke itself up.

I didn't know why but I soon realized as I slowly tugged my eyes open and took in a sharp breath.

Lauren was curled up on the couch in the corner of the room, sleeping peacefully against the wall.

She was wearing what she had been yesterday when she went out with the girls.
I wondered why.

"Lauren." My voice croaked out desperately as I pushed her name from my tense vocal chords. 

She continued sleeping and I tried again. She had came to see me, I wasn't giving up on that hope that she cared about me just yet.

"Lauren..." I tried once more in final effort and hope that she would wake up.

She shifted slightly and slowly woke up, rubbing her sleepy eyes before turning her attention to me.

Her emerald eyes widened as she saw me, her mouth dropping open.

She stood up and started to walk towards me but stopped, just out of arms length.