Ross

We've all heard that honesty is the best policy. The truth will only set you free? Well, it is true believe it or not. It may seem best to lie sometimes, because it'll make someone happy or spare there feelings. But are those feelings even real if what you told them was a lie?

I can't say I know what she was thinking when she left, but I could see she was hurting.

"I don't love you, I never did, I never will. Just deal with it Ross, please. I need to leave and you need to forget about me!"

She said this with tears in her eyes and down on the floor, completely avoiding looking at me as she said it. I knew she was lying to some degree, but I also just couldn't grasp what I was hearing so much that I believed it. If that even makes sense. It sounds so unreal that it feels real.

Sometimes we say what sounds real and what we want to believe feels real. But it's not. All and all, it's just best to go with the truth. It truly is the best policy.

When Mia left, I was selfish. I was too busy pittying myself and thinking about how much she hurt me and how I felt, that I didn't even think to really consider how it effected her. I made assumptions and tried to find reasons to be mad at her.

I'm sure you noticed how quick I was to go back to her when she came. But that's because when she did, I saw how she felt when she left. She had regrets, she didn't want to hurt me, and mainly, she cared about me enough to come back.

It was a beautiful day, enough into fall that it wasn't too cold yet the color of the leaves were changing.

Mia came downstairs into the kitchen, looking happy.

"Hi," she smiled.

I smiled more than I expected to. Her smile sent chills through me, her voice gave me goosebumps.

"Hey," I took a few steps in her direction.

She was the one to shorten the distance between us,"You busy today?"

I thought for a second, I didn't have to really work until later, my morning and afternoon was pretty clear,"Not really."

She smiled again,"Feel like taking a walk?"

I smiled at the hopeful look in her eyes,"That sounds perfect."

She grabbed a sweater before we left the house and made our way down the street. She was leading the way, I could tell she had a destination in mind by the way she walked.

"So I have a question," I started.

"Okay," she glanced at me.

I than realized I didn't have a particular question in mind, I had so many and I just wanted to ask one.

I plucked a random one from my brain,"Where are we going?"

Of course I picked the question I wanted to ask the least.

She didn't answer right away, instead she tucked her hair behind her ears and sighed,"Did you ever meet my family?"

It seems like a weird question, but after thinking about it I realized I hadn't. She almost never talked about her family. I'd tried bringing it up in the past, casually in conversation, but i never thought anything of it when she shut it down.

"No, actually I haven't." I said.

She nodded,"You did. One person at least, you just didn't know it."

Now I was confused. Who?

"Hazel wasn't my friend. I mean...she was. But that's not all she was." She looked me directly in the eyes, didn't even blink,"She was my sister."

Sister? I'd spent so much time with Hazel, how did I not know this? How did I not see a resemblance?

"You have siblings?" I asked the wrong question. But it came out anyway.

She shrugged and we turned down the next street,"I guess, technically, no. Not blood anyway." She stopped and turned to me,"Hazel was my foster sister."