23. My Comforter

Chapter 23: My Comforter

The sound of beeping, shuffling and voices woke me up. I opened my eyes to see Ali walking around talking through a phone. Did she get a new phone already? Hmm.

"Alright you take care, hope to see you soon nana. Love you too. I will! Bye," she clicked off and saw that I was awake.

"Nana on the phone?" I yawned, stretching my arms as I sat up.

"Yeah, she's in the airport right now. I'm so sorry I couldn't convince myself to go with her..." she looked down apologetically.

"Don't worry, my nana will be fine," I still worried for her though.

"Yeah she will, with Luke by her side!" she looked up and smiled happily.

"Wait what? Really?! That's great!" I felt relieved.

"Yeah, he doesn't want to deal with everything back at his foster home so he decided to join nana. Oh and he gave me his phone to contact them whenever,"

"But what about the detective and the case?" I asked, getting worried again.

"Ah! They asked us a bunch of questions yesterday and we answered truthfully and that's all they needed from us. So they gave Luke permission to accompany nana and I get to stay here with you to babysit," she giggled.

"Ooh, okay sounds good. What about Stacey and Ben? Any news about them?" I asked curiously.

"Still no sign but they have a high suspicion that they are hiding together somewhere. Right now they are investigating all the people that were in the party, her parents and Soph- er uh yeah," she hesitated when she mentioned Sophia...my heart began to race.

"Sophia?! What about her? Why did you say it like that? Is something wrong with her?!" I started to panic.

"Woah um, she's okay and well this morning she was able to leave the hospital." she looked away, avoiding eye contact.

"So she's back home?..."

"Umm, well.." she looked down and still avoided eye contact.

"Spit it out Ali!" I grabbed her arm and shook her, my heart beating rapidly, making the machine beep loudly.

"I uh, please calm down Derek...you're hurting me..."

I didn't notice I was squeezing down hard on her arm so I quickly let her go. But I was still panicking on the inside.

"Please tell me Ali..." I pleaded for answers. She sighed deeply.

She still didn't answer but instead she gave me an envelope.

"I'll give you some space..." she whispered and left me alone with a note. I was confused and scared.

I quickly teared open the envelope and in it was a note, from Sophia.

Dear Derek love,
I am writing this letter to you because it's probable that we won't be seeing each other anytime soon or ever. I'm trying to write as quick as I could before my father comes and picks me up from the hospital, so sorry if my words are sloppy. Anyways, I'm writing to tell you that I will be moving to England with my father. He grew concern for me after the incident at the party. I didn't want to go but he threatened my mother with lawsuits and dumb stuff like that if I didn't go with him. I'm not sure if I will be able to contact you or see you in a long while. Maybe when I go visit my mother I can visit you, I'm not sure. Anyways, I'm sorry I didn't get to see or say bye to you. Well I did come by last night to say goodbye but I ended up sleeping next to you, however I had to quickly get out by morning or I was going to get into trouble. It was a magical night, even if we were just asleep. I wished it was forever...anyways, I hope you heal soon. Please take care. I love you so much and I will miss you with all my heart. So sorry...farewell my little Der bear.
With much love,
Sophia Anderson