Chapter 4

We drove the rest of the way in silence. After  hours of pure hell I was ready to get out of the car and leave Ben. I was ready to leave and never see this horrible man again. Unfortunately, that wasn't happening for me. I thought it was at first, and quite honestly I was relieved, but I thought wrong...

We pulled into the NYU Administration Office parking lot. I quickly got out of the car and unloaded all of my stuff, thinking I would never see Ben again. He just sat there, with this look on his face. The look was between an 'I want to kill someone look' and an 'I fucked up again' look. I could tell he was somewhat sorry deep down, but he didn't show it whatsoever so I was not going to be the one to apologize.

Why should I? He hurt me, I did nothing to him, I should not have to apologize to him. So I didn't.

Thankfully, there was a man who came out with a cart and helped me load all of my boxes and suitcases into it. He guided me into the building where a friendly secretary greeted me.

"Hello miss,  how can I help you?" she said kindly.

"Hi, my name is Lyla Greene, I'm here to start my sophomore year. My mom said she emailed you with my information and said I had a dorm." 

"Oh yes! of course, we have been waiting for you Miss. Greene! Now, if you could just fill out this sheet of paper and sign the bottom, then we can get you a key and give you directions to your dorm!" she says with a smile.

I take the clipboard from her hand and go sit down to begin filling out this information. I get it done in a few minutes and walk back over to the desk. I hand her the sheet and she says "I'm sorry but could you just read over this sheet and sign the bottom? It's the rules and terms, we have to show them to you and you have to sign to say you can agree to them"

"Of course!" I say excitedly. It is finally sinking in that I am in New York City and I am about to go meet my roommate and set up my dorm room. Honestly, I am so excited I even forget about Ben for a few minutes.

I read over the terms and conditions paper and sign my name. I hand it back to the lady, who's name is Rebecca, with a smile.

Rebecca looks up and smiles at me. "Welcome to NYU, you are officially a student here! We are very glad to have you. Your dorm is number 540A, and here is your key." As soon as the key lands in my hand I jump with excitement. Rebecca looks happy for me, as I stand there freaking out like an idiot. What can I say? I'm excited!!

"Thank you very much Rebecca! But I have one question, how do I get to my dorm from here?"

"Oh right, I nearly forgot!" she says with a laugh "Your in room 540A which means your in Building A. There are 100 dorms on a floor, so you are on the 5th floor. Now, to get to Building A from here, you will take a right, drive down this main street right here, and then take a left onto another road. you come across an intersection, go straight and at the end you will have a choice to go right or left, go right and you will arrive in the parking lot of Building A"

"Okay, thank you so much!! Oh and one more thing, do I have a roommate?" I ask.

"Let me check" Rebecca says as she types something in the computer. "Actually it looks like you have the room to yourself, at least for the first semester. I'm not sure about the second though, but for now it's all yours! So enjoy!!"

I let out a shriek of excitement. "Awesome! well thanks for all your help! see you later!"

Rebecca smiles as she watches me walk out. It's not until I get outside that I realize Ben has the car. My car is at the shop because my parents wanted to make sure it had an inspection before I brought it to college. And they aren't bringing it to me until tomorrow around noon! ugh!

I wanted to get here and get settled before they came and now I am very upset because now I have to walk with all my stuff. come on! just my luck. At least it's cooled down a bit since this morning, it was so unbelievably hot earlier. I load everything I own into a huge cart and shove my room key into my pocket along with my cell phone. I begin to walk and I think to myself I wouldn't mind walking if I didn't have all this stuff with me!

I'm about a third of the way there when I hear an engine behind me. I turn around to see a girl, around my age, with long blonde hair and beautiful blue eyes. She is driving a golf cart behind me and pulls over and shuts the engine off. The sun is going down and I am eager to get to my dorm so I'm kinda annoyed that I have to stop. I just keep reminding myself that my only friend here cheated on me and left, so taking the time to make some new friends is probably a good idea.

"Hey, I'm Ava, what's your name?" she says politely, sticking her arm out to shake my hand. We shake hands and I say "Hi, I'm Lyla Greene."

She smiles and says "I'm just starting my sophomore year here, I moved here from Florida last week so I don't know anyone here. Do you think you could show me where Building A is?" she asks.

We are both new, so we have something in common, and she seems like a nice girl. This is turning out better than I thought.

"Actually, I'm new here too, but my dorm is in Building A too so we could go together if you want. I got directions from the secretary in the Administration Office" i say kindly.

"Oh, cool!" she says. "Here, you can ride with me! I don't have a car yet so I rented this until I find one" she laughs.

I let out a laugh too as we drive down the road to Building A.