Meant to Be

Spencer's POV:

My Mom and I were on the way home, we just spent the weekend in Philly doing some political business on behalf of my Mom's campaign. She's been to hundreds of meetings over the past few months, and she dragged me along with her, hoping I'll be just like her someday.

If I see that day.

For a split second, my Mom looked over to tell me about how she had another meeting in Rosewood tonight, another vehicle struck us.

We weren't speeding, my Mom wasn't drunk, we were on our side of the road, but another car decided to pass in a no passing zone, and struck us..head on.

All I feel is pain, that's a good sign, I guess. That means I'm not dead. "Mommy?" I cry out looking over at her, the airbag in her face. Panic washes over me, when I see her push the airbag off of her.

"I'm fine, sweetheart. Are you okay?" She asks reaching over and taking my hand. "No, I hurt, my head, my stomach, my chest, I..." I say closing my eyes, losing consciousness.

Toby's POV:

I was waiting in Spencer's barn, I had a candlelit dinner prepared for the two of us. When I get a call.

"Hi Veronica." I answer sitting on the couch. "Toby.." She starts. "The highway. Please come, we called the ambulance already, they should soon be here." Veronica says into the phone, and my heart stars beating rapidly.

"Another car struck us head on, I'm okay, but Spencer... She's not responsive, I'm alone, stuck in the car please hurry." She whimpers. "Okay, I'm keeping you on the phone while I drive, you aren't alone, okay? Spencer will be fine." I say starting to cry.

I speed to the highway and find their car into the ditch. I end the call, slam my door, and shove all the people out of the way. I run over to Veronica's side and take her hand. "No, go to Spencer. I'm fine, they'll get me out safely." She says and I nod.

As I run to the other side of the car to talk to Spencer, the ambulance arrives, and paramedics attempt to get Veronica out. I kneel down next to the beat up car, and look at Spencer who is crushed underneath a piece of the rubble. "Spence.." I whisper and her eyes flutter open. "I thought I'd never see you again." She says, her voice extremely weak.

I try my hardest to push the piece of rubble crushing her out of the way, but I can't. "You can't, Toby. It's too heavy." She says out of breath, struggling with each word. "If you move it.. I bleed out. Hold my hand?" She asks, a tear falling down my cheek. "I'm not holding your hand." I say shaking my head. "Because you're not dying." I say crying. "Toby, face it, I'm dying, I'm basically dead. I can't feel anything." She says, her voice breaking.

I bite my bottom lip, sigh and take her hand. "Listen to me, I love you...I love you.." I cry over and over again. "Believe me when I say this.." I start saying.

"We're gonna be happy, Spence. You and me. We're gonna have the best life, Spencer, you and me. We're gonna be so happy. So you can't die, okay? You can't die, because we're supposed to end up together. We're meant to be." I say crying, and holding her hands.

"Meant to be.." She whispers with a small smile, before I feel the grip of her hand holding mine release. I knew she was going, I knew that was it, I just needed her to know she was going loved...

"There's someone else!" I yell wiping the tears off my face. The paramedics on the scene push me out of the way and I stumble backwards, falling to the ground. I sit close by, trying to hear what they're saying. I look up to see Veronica, Peter and Melissa crying while Veronica is wrapped in a blanket sat in the back of the ambulance.

Aria, Emily, and Hanna run over and hug me tight, crying nearly as much as I am. "Shh, Toby, it's okay. It's better that she's in a painless place, very happy, and able to always watch over you. She needs you to be happy and strong for her, okay?" Emily asks rubbing my arm and I sniffle.

They try getting her out of the car, it's impossible. They try reviving her from the position they were in, it's unable to be done.

"Time of death, 17:10 pm." The few paramedics say walking away from the scene and back to the side of the road. I cover my face, crying, crying, crying. The love of my life is gone. If she would of made it home, I would of proposed to her, we would of had our happily ever after. I guess that's not the case anymore, is it?

A few days later

It's been a few days since the accident, today is the day they're holding the funeral. It still feels surreal, this isn't happening, it's just a dream.

Every night I fall asleep in her barn, on her bed, holding something of her's close to me, telling myself she's always with me. I cry myself to sleep, every night. Because I can't face the fact she's gone.

We arrive at the funeral, I sit up front with her friends and family. As the service goes on, I try to keep myself distracted, because this isn't goodbye.

"Would anyone like to say a few words?" The priest says and I stand up, walking to the front.

"For those of you who don't know me, I'm Toby Cavanaugh. The love of her life. Spencer was more than a lover, she was my safe place to land. No matter what we went through, we always found our way back to each other, back home. What we had was a beautiful love, everyone deserves it, and I'll never forget her until the day I die. She was my one and only, she was my girl. If you're listening Spence, I love you." I say crying, and quickly seating myself.

After the service was over, we all went back to Veronica's for dinner, we're all going through a tough time. "I thought the only friend we'd have to bury was Ali." Aria speaks up as she plays with her food. "Me too." Hanna quietly agrees. "Toby, how are you?" Melissa asks looking over at me.

"Fine." I say with a tight smile.
It's clear to see that I'm not fine.
And that I never will be again...

••
OKAY YOU CAN ALL HATE ME.
I hate myself for making this it's so sad.

If you have prompts leave them below!!

CAN YOU GUESS WHERE I GOT THE PART IN ITALICS FROM???😉

Comment thoughts??