Divorce

*set in a time where they're best friends + teenagers!! (AU)

Spencer's POV:

Day 15 of the divorce.

My parents have been fighting non stop the past 2 months, so they finally decided they couldn't stand to be near each other, nor live in the same house.

They both have tons of lawyers, and they're going to be spending yet another day in court.

Seeing it's Friday, and they won't get home until around 9:00 PM, I decided that I'll skip school, and pass on the whole "wow, Spence, I'm so sorry your parents are divorcing!" comments.

The divorce hasn't only been hard on them and Melissa, but it has had a huge impact on me by far, probably the most out of anyone.

I don't bother to get a shower, but I decide to put on some sweat pants, grab a lot of junk food, and text my very best friend, Toby.

"Hi, Toby. I'm actually not feeling the greatest, so I won't be in school today. There's no need to pick me up! Have a great day and if I'm still up to it I'll definitely accompany you to the movies :)" - Spence

I grab a bunch of blankets, lay them all across my bed, lay the junk food around me, and stick my hair in a messy bun to support my messy attire. (Sweats and a tank top)

I check the clock, and it's only 7:30 AM, Toby doesn't usually pick me up until 8:30 AM. This is definitely a sign it'll be a long day.

About 30 minutes later I hear a knock on the door.

Weird. Seeing my parents are probably at court, my friends assume I'll be at school, and Toby thinks I'm sick.

I'd tell them the truth, but I don't think I'm ready to talk about it.

I run down stairs, and blush as soon as I see Toby standing outside my door. Even though we're best friends, it's safe to say we always flirt, and like each other.

Toby looks at me from head to toe as I blush, but he smirks. "Yes?" I ask him, playfully rolling my eyes at all the staring.

"I was making sure you were okay, and that you didn't need anything before school started, that's all." He tells me and I shake my head.

"You don't look sick." He points out, moving in closer and pressing the back of his hand against my forehead.

"You don't even have a fever." He says, coming inside and closing the door behind him.

"Spence, what's wrong? Did someone say something to you? I'm you're best friend, you can talk to me." He smiles, placing his hand on my cheek.

"I know, but I don't think I'm ready to talk about it." I tell him, my voice growing weak. "Hey," he says, pulling me in closer for a hug.

"I'm going to skip off with you, and we'll spend the day together." He smiles, pulling back from our hug.

How I wish I could just stay in his arms forever.

I nod my head, wiping my tears, and hiding the embarrassment painted on my face.

I take his hand, and lead him upstairs to my room. "I was planning on watching movies and eating junk food all day." I tell him, showing him the mess on my bed.

"Room for one more?" He smirks, and I nod, getting under the blankets.

Toby follows me, laying next to me. I turn on a comedy, and lay my head down on the pillow.

During the movie, I let my mind get the best of me and couldn't help but think of the divorce.

I begin to cry, but cover my mouth to muffle it so Toby doesn't grow concerned. Moments later, he looks down and notices the crying.