Chapter 8 - Questions

The next morning, I made breakfast; Nathaniel and Thomas were in the bath together. Once they finished getting dressed and eating, we dropped Thomas off at school and drove to ours.

"YOU AND NATHANIEL HAVE A CHILD? WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN? HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? YOU TWO BARELY MET EACH OTHER!"

"Shut up, Ashton!" I ordered, punching her arm.

We were eating lunch at our usual table. No one was near us, but I couldn't risk having eavesdroppers hear about my situation. I sighed and set my head on my arms.

"I'm sorry, but I'm just surprised. What happened?"

"It's fine, but you cannot tell anyone! I wouldn't want to cause any trouble for Nathaniel."

"There's nothing wrong with taking care of a child. You have feelings for Nathaniel, don't you? You should take advantage of the time you have with him."

If people found out, they would talk about us. I wouldn't want Nathaniel to go through that.

"All right, but promise me that you'll keep this a secret," I said.

Ashton nodded and ditched me to meet up with John. When she disappeared, Nathaniel came by and sat next to me.

"Hey, Pouty. I'm leaving early, so I'll pick up Thomas from school. Is that all right with you?" he asked.

I thought for a moment, and Nathaniel waited patiently for my response. I had no reason to refuse, so I just nodded.

"Thank you, Nathan."

After school, I walked towards my car, but before I could sit inside, someone grabbed me from behind. The stranger tightly held my arms and slammed me against my car.

What the hell?! What idiot assaults a student on campus? Is the stupid bastard even aware that there are people around us?

Angrily, I kicked the person in the groin. He yelped and released his grip, allowing me to spin around and get him in a headlock position. I slowly began to strangle him, but I ceased. The stranger dropped to his knees, enveloping his neck with his hands.

"Is that you, John?" I asked.

He remained silent.

"You're an idiot, John! What the hell were you thinking?"

"Y-You nearly killed me!" he cried out.

"Is that my fault? You're the one who grabbed me! I should just report you."

"The least you could do is apologize!"

"I'm sorry, then. Could you please stand up? You're making a scene."

John rose, rubbing his neck.

"I just wanted to talk to you about your boyfriend, Lucie."

"I don't have a boyfriend," I stated.

"Nathaniel isn't your boyfriend?" he asked.

"No, he isn't. Why?"

His expression softened from relief.

"Ashton told me that you two have a child together. Is that true?"

You broke your promise, Ashton.

"I am simply taking care of my nephew, and Nathaniel volunteered to help. Plus, why does it matter to you?"

"Well, I'm sorry. I was just wondering why you didn't talk to Lucas or me about it. We could've helped you."

"Nathaniel was already there with me. Why would I waste time looking for you two? Plus, Lucas and I aren't even talking anymore."

John frowned and said, "You've become a different person, Lucie. I may have feelings for you, but this is unbelievable."

I couldn't respond, so John shook his head and walked away.

What is wrong with me? Why am I turning into the villain?

I sat inside my car and stared out the window for a while. A single tear began to roll down my cheek. Quickly wiping it away, I started the engine and drove home.