Chapter 12 - Rejected

"I never meant to leave you like that, Lucas. I am truly sorry," I said.

Lucas was silent.

Dwelling in the past must've made him remember the pain I caused him.

"If you have no business here, leave. Just let me get back to work."

"Will you ever forgive me?"

"I really don't know. Right now, I just don't care about you. You've done enough damage to me; you've hurt John as well."

"Fine, then. If that is what you wish, I will not bother any of you any longer. It's a shame everything had to end this way."

"You are the one who made things this way."

I exited the library and ran to my car. I began to feel frustrated.

Whatever. I give up. They're absolutely worthless to me. They don't even bother trying. This was completely pointless.

Feeling exhausted, I drove to a café. Actually, it was Lucas' favorite place to eat at. I don't know why I chose to go there, but I did.

I sat down at a familiar table, and memories began to pour down on me. I ordered a cup of tea to relieve myself, but a headache came knocking in.

I remained in the café for a good hour. As I was gathering my belongings, I saw Ashton and John walk in.

Oh, wonderful. I shouldn't stay here any longer. I wouldn't want to disturb the perfect couple.

I quickly paced towards the door, but Ashton noticed me.

"Lucie!" she called out.

I stopped midway and turned towards her. John avoided my gaze.

"Oh, Ash. I didn't see you there."

"Hey! I've been calling and texting you, but you haven't replied. Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, I'm sorry. I've just been busy."

"Were you about to leave? John and I were going to have lunch. Would you like to join us?"

Has he not told her yet?

"I'd love to, Ash, but I have an appointment to go to. Also, I wouldn't want to intrude the time you're spending with John."

"You're not intruding, but I understand! See you at school."

"Yeah. See you."

I really hate lying to her, but she's just so pure. I don't want to see her worried.