Chapter 9

Picture of Connor

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It got worse over the days passing, each minute of the day was worse after the other. We all were hoping to eagerly get injured just to return home, but if someone looked in our eyes they will see a loss of hope and the little we have left in us.

As the weeks passed by the people we were before died along the men we bared arms with closely, we wanted nothing more but to be home with either are wife's or just to get the sensation of being in are loved ones arms, just one more time.

Receiving letters was starting to not be enough anymore and some of grew agrivated from the lack of food we either received or the rats starting to sneak into the bread again.

Some nights I heard a few men yelling in their sleep, other days they looked like the haven't slept in month's. We grew in appearance, knowing this war might not kill us physically, but for danm sure it will kill us mentally.

The nights became more of sanctuary of safe haven to not see any blood or a dead body or two, but the mornings were becoming hell for the one's that couldn't handle the smell. We heard news from Paris that it was wasn't getting any better, only worse.

I will see many of the French men talking in English how they wanted to go home with their families same with the Brits. I don't know what's worse; going home to nothing or your family receiving a notice of your death.

I could just imagine how my family will react to my death, I could see it right now how the funeral would be; how lovely death would be. Just to end the daily screams of men clinging on to you for support while you bullshit them with lies, "You will live to see your wife", "You're going to make it", "We're almost there, it's just a little scratch"  "Your going to make it".

I could go on how many times I have either heard other men say this to the dying or I have been the victim to tell them these lies, just so they won't have to worry. Although, I remember being very tempted to telling a man the truth, but the hope in his brown eyes forced me do other wise.

Wiping the dirt off of my face I squint trying to get a few splinter out of my arm, "Fuck, fuck." I groan into the corner, trying to silent painfully groans. Kicking my head back slightly I hear footsteps nearing, trying to cover my arm I see a man in a french uniform giving me a quick glance then stops glancing back to me.

The was passing by to go get the eat some food, but when he saw the splinters on my arm he was somewhat willing to help as long as I didn't snitch that he wasn't at his post.

"Fuck!" I stomp my foot annoyingly giving the man a death glare of frustration, the man laughs shaking his head claiming that he knows women who would act more of man, "When you have splinters in your arm let's see whose going to act more of a-man, asshole." Then groaning when he pulls out another splinter, and clinking his tongue while showing me the last big splinter that was lodged in my arm.

After a few minutes of pain on my right arm I headed to take my shift in sleep for a few short hours. I'll take any kind of sleep, even if I have to sleep on the floor it'll still be good enough to fall asleep on.

Resting my head on the pillow-less bed I hugged the only blanket; my thin jacket. The nights were getting colder since winter is nearing closer, closing my eyes I pant heavily while clinging more to my sweater.

"Rual, wake up." My eyes suddenly snapping awake, I take out my pistol aiming at Sebastian. His hands immediately went up as he sighs rubbing the back of his neck, "I'm sorry, force of habit." I put the pistol under my jacket and got up from the bed, quickly examining him.

Sebastian gives me a certain look that made me clear my throat, grabbing my jacket and putting along with putting pistol into my holster. Passing by Sebastian his hand grabbed my hand pulling me back to him, glancing away I rubbed the back of my neck nervously.

"Let me see your arm." Glancing at him; I sigh reluctantly, rolling up the sleeve and showing him the marks the splinter's left behind.  He gets nearer while he takes his chance to examine my arm, his eyes shown this amount of affection, and yet I'm still to afraid to show any back.

Taking this as an opportunity I rest my hand on his cheek hesitantly, he looks at me; noticing a grin appearing on his lips, grinning back I pull my hand away along with myself.

Before leaving I slip on my jacket on hearing the cries of helps and bullets firing back every so often, ducking down against the wall I grab a gun near me as I shot back.

Seeing Sebastian stepping out the room I tackle him to the ground as bullets grazed; hitting the surface of the wooden door, "I owe you." Sebastian said breathlessly. Getting up I stick my hand out he grabbed it then tugged my hand, pulling him up and patting his back.

Returning some shots back, somehow me and Walker ended up being paired; to snipe a few enemies, who will tussle their way out of the trenches. I found out the crazy cousin of his who makes the apple pie's was Connor; they known each other since they were babies in diapers.

He told me that him and Connor been together for nine long years and has managed to keep it a secret, only his brother and Connor's mom knows about the relationship. It brought me to thinking how that could be me and Sebastian, maybe we can live somewhere far; managing to keep are relationship a secret.

"You should talk about it with Sebastian, the two of you would make a badass couple." I chuckles at Walkers remark, but then raising an eyebrow wondering how does Walker even know.

I guess Walker saw my screwy questioning look and laughed, rubbing his nose beginning to explain, "You may try hide it Guerrero, but with your jealousy problems always rising. I knew off the bat." I rolled my eyes at his nonsense, going back to my shooting.

I kept replaying, all of them times I have been with Sebastian thinking if I have been jealous and is it that fucking noticeable. Rubbing my cheeks I stare at Walker and said, "I think your right, am I'm always getting jealous?" I rose an eyebrow towards him for a answer, Walker smirks amusingly going back to scoping.

Before I go back to scoping I flip him off, luckily scoping one of the enemies I saw a few minutes ago trying to hide behind thin tree trunks. It was the hiding spot I seen them try, the tress were practically dying and if someone gave it a little nudged it might as well fall over. However, grenades go off near the trees and they stick hard as glue; stubborn trees.

I found out a few things about Walker when we were paired to snipe and that was; he has two siblings, is allergic to strawberries, lives in the outskirts of New York, and enjoys farming with his family because of how much money they make.

Going to the water pump, I grab a cup and started to pump myself some water. Downing the cup I grab three more cups while making sure not to spill them over I hand over: Walkers, Connors, and Sebastian's as well. Taking a seat we chatted together as a large group of friends, and then came the Frenchman who assisted with the splinters.

Glancing around each of the men carefully, they were now my family and that was starting to matter most to me. The worry thoughts of my Uncles health slipped out of my mind, to now my brothers in arms and how we will fight for one another's hope, since that is all we have left.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

           I hoped you enjoyed the chapter, but now it's going to start get more serious.

        Please Vote and Comment :)