4. Ezra and friendship

A/N: Guess who's late again. Hint: it's me. To be honest I just completely forgot yesterday lmao.
Anyway, the picture above is how I imagine Feyre (pronounced 'Fair') to look.
Don't forget to vote and comment if you like the chapter c:

Ezra had always considered Kya to be her best friend, even since they were tiny. She had other friends, of course, but Kya was always the one who Ezra would drop plans for. She'd like to say she knew Kya well, but sometimes she wondered if she ever knew anyone. She knew her as a web of the things Kya said, held together by what she knew Kya did. Did that count as knowing someone? 

Ezra hoped she was her sister's best friend too, apart from Addison. She didn't think anyone could ever replace Addison in Kya's life. But where Addison was an irreplaceable best friend, Ezra knew that she meant something different to Kya. You had to love your siblings, that's just how family worked, but it was different for them. Their friendship wasn't there just because it made life easier. They had a legitimate friendship, and it did make life easier, but it made it better in the comforting way, not the convenient one. 

Having Kya around was comforting. She had always been Ezra's comfort. She was the one thing Ezra had always consistently cared about, even from when they were too young to understand most things, even before Ezra's panic attacks started. 

Ezra would have liked to have believed that she could handle it by herself, but as she sat alone, hyperventilating, chest feeling as if her heart was trying to snap through her ribs and break free, she realised she really couldn't do it on her own. Being alone was the thing that scared her.

"Ezra," Kya's voice seemed to drift, a melody amongst the sharp sounds of Ezra's breaths. Her head had poked around the door first, after hearing something heavy fall to the floor. Said heavy thing had been Ezra, dropping to her knees as she realised what was happening. Ezra felt Kya's hands next, lightly touching her arms. It was an indication that she was there, but there was no smothering involved. Ezra couldn't breathe, but the weight on her chest felt halved. 

"Oh, Ezra," Kya said softly, "it's okay." She sounded like someone who was comforting a crying friend, not someone trying to stop hyperventilating. The weight halved again.

When Kya was reassured that physical contact wouldn't make Ezra worse, she sat next to her and drew her towards where she was sitting. Ezra leaned into her.

Eventually Ezra's breathing fell back to normal, so they sat, together on the floor. Ezra was still leaning into Kya's arm, snivelling tiredly. In that moment, it felt as if Kya was holding her together, just long enough to help her become steady again.

"Do you want to tell me what that was about?" Kya said quietly.

Weakly, Ezra spoke. "I don't know." I wish this would go away.

Kya looked up at the calendar hanging up on the wall. It was Saturday morning, was there really anything to be worried about? That wasn't the kind of logic that went into it and she knew it from personal experience. It could come out of nowhere if it really wanted to. The only issue was the tugging her heart felt. She knew what it was like, and she really didn't want Ezra to go through it too.

"Do you have much homework?" Kya said out of the blue.

Ezra looked up at her uncertainly. "No." Please tell me why this won't go away.

"Then get ready," she smiled brightly, "we're going out today."

Kya invited a couple of Ezra's friends from school to come with them, being vague about the reason because she didn't know how Ezra felt about it. They met in a busier part of town. Feyre and McKenna were sitting on the steps, chatting casually and scrolling through their phones. They looked up when the sisters approached and smiled as a greeting.